Rat Cave Access Update

accessT

A quick update regarding rumors surrounding the Rat Cave closure:

I spoke with USFS and yes,it is on their radar... however:

1) No, the crag is not closed to recreational use (this includes climbing); Access is still open.

2) USFS interaction has and will stem primarily from concerns surrounding new route development (bolting/fixed anchors) and overall human impact.

They will be monitoring this site in the months/seasons to come!

3) The local USFS office is aware of the national-level MOU with the Access Fund and will connect with me directly regarding any future decisions or concerns though they are currently pleased with the " level of support and collaboration" from the Access Fund, as well as, the local climbing community.

This said, If you climb at the Rat Cave PLEASE KEEP A LOW PROFILE. If you don't...Don't.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Wondered how long that was going to take...

It's been suggested before, but now might be a good time to consider taking a couple of days to camo all the hangers, swap out any slings that aren't black/gray/tan, and remove any fixed draws that aren't absolutely necessary.

I know the 'drill', but I've also seen places littered with fixed draws where only about half of them were really necessary. And there are wire fixed draws that would be way less intrusive than chains, but a bit pricey spread across only ten guys.

http://www.climbtechgear.com/cable-draw-22kn-5-000-lbs-blue/ (and when I inquired a year ago they said they could make them up in stainless as well - but for the price it might be worth just ebaying a nicopress of your own to make them)

Either way, I suspect if you make a solid effort to camo the place out it would go a long way towards helping out with a lot of the concerns and show a good faith effort to self-manage the place.