Yosemite Approach Shoes Recommendations ?

mtnrgr

I just got a job as Park Ranger patrolling the Half Dome Trail and Little Yosemite Valley. I'll be spending most of my day on the Half Dome cables checking permits and rescueing tourists.

Any recomdation on a good approach shoe or hiking shoe that are comfortable with 30-45 lbs loads and good traction for 45 degree granite slabs?

Currently,I own an old pair of Montrail CTC's and Asolo 540 GV boots.

Thanks

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you will be looking for fit, durability, and traction (and your own preference for boot height). If it were me, I'd use something like a Scarpa SL M3. They fit me well right out of the box,and once they break in, fit like a nice old pair of gloves. Spending that many hours in a pair of boots (and I personally would use boots, not shoes, since my feet and ankles would fatigue less), I would avoid synthetics due to the stink foot factor. I would also try to have the luxury of a fresh pair of socks in my pack as frequently as possible.

Congratulations on the job!

I wear a pair of La Sportiva raptor trail running shoes while on patrol and they seem to work out fairly well besides blowing through a pair or two in a season. They are pretty good on rock due to somewhat sticky rubber and they keep my feet cool unlike most boots.