What to climb in Washington in April?

sickle

Hi. I am new to the state. Can someone suggest a good alpine climb that would be accessible this time of year and can be done in a reasonable day? Maybe a nice alpine ice couloir or easy rock/mixed ridge? I lead 5.10a/WI4. Website suggestions pointing out what routes are typically in shape in what months would also be welcome. Thanks!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm also interested in some recommendations. I'm new to winter/spring climbing and am wondering what kind of conditions to expect a couple days in to this upcoming weather window (so about Monday and Tuesday). With the bottomless snow throughout march, will any routes on the volcanoes or colchuck area be doable / not a death wish?

Spring conditions for sure. Be wary of sun exposed slopes in the afternoons, cornice collapse, wet slides, etc. My guess is that climbing conditions wouldn't be the best right now especially for stuff to do in a day. TC's might be worth a look but that's a pretty long day. Maybe Zipper or something on Lane Peak?

I would also suggest a hike up to Muir or rock climbing at Index.