Bad dog, no bone! Daniel and Nastia?

Dane

Ok I just have to ask...what is up with you two and dogs?

Daniel why are you mean to dogs?

Nastia what constitutes a "dog" route to you?

In the old days I'd let Rocky talk to you both. He was a 125# male Doberman that got cut as a 2 year old thank God. Because he was a hand full as a mature male.

Loved the brute but I don't think he would have tolerated your nefarious attitudes :)

05859i5_26.jpeg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was openly critical of a hiker who, against posted leash laws, took her dog on an exposed summit unleashed. The dog chased a mountain goat and fell and was injured. A couple posters (KirkW, Num1Num (I think) accused me of 'being mean to dogs'. I am not mean to dogs, I own two dogs and love them dearly. I think it is unreasonable for dog owners to expose their pets to unnecessary risks while ignoring posted leash laws that would have prevented the accident.

Ah, the goat chasing dog from last year? Ya, I was thinking the owners of the dog should have been tossed off that cliff myself. I intentionally stayed out of that conversation.

OK so you like dogs but only in the right circumstances? Fair enough.

In the wrong situation like the dumb asses who lost their bernese mtn dog for a few days it is like letting your children play in the middle of a busy freeway. It is cruel to the animal and irresponsible. Stupid pet owners really piss me off.

May be even more than stupid non pet owners.

There is more to the story:

http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/jul/10/rescuers-save-dog-who-tumbled-off-mountain/

Leah law or not...and I don't believe there is one here. I believe the owners of Shasha were/are irresponsible twits with a dog and in the mountains.

Mt Ellinor's winter route, which I suspect was the July route last summer when this happened:

"Use extra caution when climbing the chute, especially when it is cloudy and foggy as the rocks are extremely slick when wet. Check on avalanche conditions before beginning the climb. Ice axe, boots, and the ten essentials are necessary. Conditions can change very rapidly and the chute can be hazardous even in good weather."

Not huge fan of leash laws generally. But understand why they are there. But really get annoyed at dumb asses who can't control their dogs. If that takes a leash so be it. Nothing wrong with actual voice control either. Which mine are one way or the other. I get even more annoyed for the bozo...screaming "leash law!" when it doens't apply by law or the dog's actions. Happens in my neiborhood occasionally in fact. I'd like to bite them myself. Last time it happened here I had a chat in person with my lovely neighbor about such antics. That was the first day I figured I'd really live through the chemo :)

Try your local off leash park for a hand full of stupid pet owners.

Here's my wifes Puddin' Jack Russell Terrier borrowing this very nice yet accommodating German Shepard's ball. God she's fun. But I don't take her out to public cliffs.

Sadie_makes_a_friend_and_borrows_the_ball.jpg

I have a pic of her with some Mt Goats, she ignores them....unlike all the worlds mice/rats/rodents that she feels compelled to dispatch.

I think it was last summer on the top of the Chief some women had her dog off leash and it was running around chasing snaffles. The snaffle ran over the ledge and I was waiting for the dog to do one last fly ball. I just about barfed.

No offense to dogs, how could one not admire them?

Some of them climb mountains, like this OlegV's dog Charlie - who runs up his "dedicated" route on Hoodie in under 3 hrs. Thank gawd there are no leash/being "roped up" laws here, so he proudly soloes it.

Charlie has completed Dog Headwall Direct (also known as Pearly Gates) and is approaching Hood summit in June 2008:

63555_1793386834322_1229206824_32140168_5564103_n.jpg

But in 3 hrs? That's right, its much better than for some Homo Sapiens. Like myself, for example, who needs to train hard to beat the 3 hrs Charlie's fastest time.

Or my Dog friend Cody I am so affectionate about:

5547898050_ce44e8069a_z.jpg

Cody breaks trail, carries your stuff and leads sick ice!

7043112453_d993f29853_b.jpg

6228272889_a78145c5be_z.jpg

And more importantly, he gets up early, never whines and is always motivated! :moondance: What can be better than that?

Cody is my kind of dog. And a sick send by the "dog" route.

Now that we have a clear translation it doesn't seem like elitist apinism.

Obviously both are better than the average bear.

Which would seem almost humbling to most bears.

grizzly-bear.jpg

I rescued a dog off Mt. Pugh once -- a big, beautiful chocolate lab with sad eyes. Her owner thought it would be fun to try to take her scrambling, and the dog thought it would be fun to go running down an ice field. Poor dog must have tumbled 200 feet down the Mt. Pugh saddle before coming to a rest with a shattered leg. It was like a wet sock, flopping around. We were all convinced the leg would have to come off, but I guess they were able to save it, pin the bones together and reconstruct the ACL and MCL.

After the Sheriff refused to send in a rescue team for the dog, the owner proceeded to climb down and get himself stuck, too, at which case a rescue was organized and you know the rest of the story. FYI, dog's don't really like being littered and lowered. That was my first real mission as an attendant during a lower, incidentally. She was scared enough to shit on me.

All because the owner thought it would be fun to take his dog scrambling.

25gbe3k.jpg

Edited by rob

Not only are you mean to dogs, you also lie about them. There are no leash laws on Mount Elinor

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but according tot the Olympic National Forest (where Mt Ellinor is located) website: "Leashed pets are allowed on trails in Olympic National Forest. "

http://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Explain to me how I'm lying.

Edited by DPS

Some of them climb mountains, like this OlegV's dog Charlie - who runs up his "dedicated" route on Hoodie in under 3 hrs. Thank gawd there are no leash/being "roped up" laws here, so he proudly soloes it.

Charlie approaching Hood summit in June 2008:

This would be the definition of the "dog route" then...

d

Charlie approaching Hood summit in June 2008:

This would be the definition of the "dog route" then...

d

I wonder how that can be interpreted as "elitist" though...

it doesn't seem like elitist apinism.

Obviously both are better than the average bear.

Which would seem almost humbling to most bears.

grizzly-bear.jpg

Dogs are equal opportunity climbers as are bears.

Not sure if I would climb with bears though - they can be so moody and unpredictable. But its just me :P

Not only are you mean to dogs, you also lie about them. There are no leash laws on Mount Elinor

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but according tot the Olympic National Forest (where Mt Ellinor is located) website: "Leashed pets are allowed on trails in Olympic National Forest. "

Explain to me how I'm lying.

You posted a link to the National Park website, not the National Forest information which is confusing (but lying? of course not).

In general the NPS is very very strict about pets. The NFS allows them but is less strict. I would assume the TH has info stating the leash is required?

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak

I believe I learned something today. And it would appear Daniel is correct. A leash law is in effect on Mt. Ellinor.

"Leashed pets are allowed on trails in Olympic National Forest. Please note that this is a different entity than Olympic National Park."

http://www.petfriendlytravel.com/?page=national_parks#Washington

Olympic National Forest:

"Pets on a leash are allowed on trails in Olympic National Forest."