MH Direkt 2 arrived today

Sig Olsen

About me:

6'2 - 195 lbs - not a little guy by mountaineering standards.

Just got the tent today and set it up in my bedroom. To me - perfect size/weight. I inflated my neoair large/long mat and it has about 2 inches on both end. Plenty of room on the side. I usually underinflate the mat and fold the end for a pillow. Easier than carrying a pillow plus the large is wider I believe. I have the original version not the new one.

With the pad fully inflated, I can sit up with about 6 inches clearance above my head.

Solid design. 6 tent stake hook/loops. 1 tie out on each side and middle of each corner has extra webbing I assume can be used to tie down also.

Small pouch that hangs center top which is removable.

Front door double zips so you can vent up top through the door in addition to the vent in the upper back.

Comes with a slide over tube I assume is incase you break one of the sturdy poles. Poles click in place inside. Note- do not try to slide through the velcro hold tabs before setting up. Easier to just stretch the tent with the poles and then sit inside to fasten velco straps to center the poles.

Didn't weigh it, but I will tomorrow after I sleep in it tonight.

4608.thumb.jpg.634bb3b0e215e5306f92c7d7f903aab4.jpg

4609.thumb.jpg.24be48350d36b92b4158e658d20c8581.jpg

4610.thumb.jpg.d1b1f21c349f5a98d0a7dfa029effa51.jpg

4611.thumb.jpg.78408d51aff0aeed9216c8910fa0f88f.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Website says PU coated Nylon. It's a whole tent made out of tent floor.

Says it's 2lb 8 oz too....

I like the awesome side zip access of the BD, but this looks like it would do better in high winds. Anyone know? 2 lbs 8 oz? That a misprint? Sick. I have underwear that weight more....not when they are clean of course. :shock:

Raccoon_Really_Really_Want.jpg

Big sky, it does feel like there is some coating. The tent packs extremely small and the poles have many sections making them very short length.

I was skeptical about the front door and not side door since I am a big guy. The door is huge and very easy to get in and out of. This is much higher, via printed info than the firstlight.

After reading the brochure, It does have tie outs on the corners about mid way that look and feel very strong. Now I need to figure out if I need snow stakes...

I plan to use it solo. I think 2 people my size could sleep in it, but it would be cramped with no room then for gear. I would buy the uv2 I think if I planned to share it. That split in weight is still only about 2.7 lbs per person if I remember right.

I have never been camping in the snow so my review of condensation will not be very reliable. If I say it was the least condensation or most I have ever seen, I will be telling the truth :-) It does feel like a bomb shelter though and rather large for the weight.

I knew others were interested in it too. I got the first shipment from REI.

• 1 month later...

I just used this tent on top of hood and it worked out pretty well. It had condensation (that froze on inside), but it was still warmer than outside for sure. I'm just over 6 foot and the foot and head of my bag touched the ends of the tent, but not severely. It had plenty of room for me and all my crap. With two people it would be OK for just the people and not any gear. But it's uber small when packed and easy to take down. Putting it up takes a bit to get the poles in the right alignment and feels burly.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the details.

The weight and size of this tent appeals to me, however I wonder about the lack of vestibule for pack and cooking/melting, can anyone tell me how these 2 aspects worked during winter or climbing? I have an older trango that I've used on Whitney/Rainier and am thinking of getting something lighter for an upcoming shasta, but don't know if i would go crazy , love multi day and not just 1 night.

Thanks,

Worked great for 1 person. For 2 people, no mas. Still dig a boot well and you could potentially cook there. As far as NOT cooking in there, the tent for 1 person is more than big enough for gear. Think about using pack as part of your sleeping kit - as an enhancement to your mattresses and then it takes it out of your way (and provides an extra R layer). So, this system works great for me. I have a half length Ensolite pad, a 3/4 length Neo Air & I throw my pack under the feet - works great and the whole sleeping system without the pack & sleeping bag ends up 17 oz.

My point is: pack doesn't need to go in the vestibule - the tent is big enough to support all your gear as long as you go light and not nuts.

The tent does a great job with condensation as far as I can tell. I had a good winter camping experience with it. NOTE: If you're really gonna hit the high winds, you want to ADD guy lines and probably also add some anchors to the 4 corners too.

I have a first light. It has been on Shasta, Raineer, Adams, Hood,etc. light weight,dependable tent. for high altitudes I carry paracord and do a + across the top and stake it down good.

With the normal tie down points and the velcro fasteners wraped around the poles on the inside the + ropes make the first light a good lite choice for a solo outing that is bomber.

• 2 weeks later...

Re: "only concern I'd have with the firstlight would be it's ability to stay strong buried under snow and handle heavy winds since the poles are definitely thinner." If you expect heavy snow or heavy winds, and you have purchased a 2nd set of poles, you can double-pole the Firstlight, FWIW.

Don't disagree with that point NotMessner... However, you've added probably another 8 oz to your kit that way... just saying. I think that's a fine solution to up a 3 season to a 4 season. I have an extra set of poles for my Nallo 3 just in case I am going into nastyish weather with it.

The tent was great on Shasta with min 30mph winds. Didnt move. Tying out makes it solid. Im 6'1 195 lbs and fit nicely in there. VERY tall in the middle. I didnt buy this for anyone but me. I kept most gear inside. I could have cooked inside, but that is never recommended - more important with liquid gas stoves because of spilled fuel risk. Harmful gases are negligible with iso fuels. I didnt keep poles or crampons in, but I could have. Ill be taking this to Rainier next year. extremely small packed and poles break down very small also. I was surpised how little it moved. So much that when I got out I figured the wind wasnt blowing and it was blowing over 30 at night. Just fwiw.