OPB mt Hood special tonight

wayne

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This picture is of their team climbing the Gates.

mthood-513.jpg

It was my birthday wish to climb one of the days that they happened to be filming up there.

I wanted Leuthold's, but we got too late a start and settled for cruising up the south side and it was definitely cool being up there with OFG.

My brother Isaac's voice is heard at 1:05, 11:56 and 27:34 and we're briefly seen climbing at 11:49.

I thought the special was really cool, thanks for mentioning it here. I thought it was slightly comical how long people have been climbing hood, and with such "antiquated" equipment like alpenstocks.

When I climb hood this summer I'm going to feel a bit sheepish getting dressed in a few thousand dollars worth of high-tech gear, knowing that women in homemade dresses made it up and back without issue.

Also cool to know that a few people posting in this thread were either interviewed (Wayne) or shown climbing it.

Good show. Thanks for posting the link Wayne. Those of us in the "hinterlands" of Washington would have missed it for sure without the post...

Now, trying still to get my mind around "15 attempts to get one climb in"... I can relate, and admire the determination that took...

Thanks again,

d

That footage of the copter going down was crazy.

2 hours 6 minutes round trip from Timberline! Really? Amazing. I'd have guessed the best time to be 2:40ish, maybe 2:30 but 2:06? Wow.

Is that the current record? Did they happen to state best time from lot to summit only?

I missed the show.. was chugging up Hwy30 instead..

I was pretty surprised that they were able to use a decent amount of my photos/videos for the special. (my video skills are "lacking" to put it nicely) I was also pleased with how well put-together it was, I would not have wanted to be the editor in charge of compressing the history and stories of climbing Mt Hood into 30 minutes of time.

My only complaint is that I was a little sad when it was over, I wish it were longer.

I was pretty surprised that they were able to use a decent amount of my photos/videos for the special.

I just watched it online, and was like "dood, that's me!"

top2.jpg

Was my first successful solo attempt. Nice shot, Andrew... I actually took a shot of you on the summit from about there, too. I'll have to see if I ever uploaded it.