Moving to Bellingham for the summer (need help)

Sameer

Greetings all,

I'm moving to Bellingham for the summer to train, climb (rock, snow, alpine), backpack and make new friends. I'm looking for some guidance:

1) Does anyone know a place for sublet for the summer? I need a room with access to kitchen and internet.

2) What park permits do I need to get prior to moving out there, is there a quota?

3) Is there a climbing gym and gear shop in Bellingham?

4) I need partners to climb with. I have a full rack for rock and ice. Will share whatever I know to make it a learning experience as I learn something new every time I climb.

Peace,

Sameer

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#1. (subletting): Can't help ya. Check craigs list.

2. (Parking): Your going to need to clarify. Are you talking about parking on campus? Call the college. Are you talking about parking around town? If so, no permitt needed unless you're in the "residential Zone" right around campus (think three or four blocks within campus) My suggestion: move farther away (cheaper, quieter, better rentals) and ride your bike.

3. Gyms: one on campus (short wall, college scene, and requires student ASB fee), one at the YMCA (tall, time available for public climbing limited, considered pedestiran/oh-so noob by some locals and hecklers alike, comes to $35 a month), and various home walls for which you need the bro hookup.

Gear shops: AAI (pricey), REI, Backcountry Essentials (fun to browse the used deals and wierd gear)

4. Call me this summer and we can hook up for something.

Dave

Thanks for the response Dave.

For the park permit, I meant the State/National Park permits.

I couldn't find much on Craigs List, so wanted to see if there are individuals who are in the area and might know someone who has a room for let.

I will hit you up when I get in town 1st week of June. Hopefully, I will have a place by then.

Hey there,

I have a place in bham that you may be interested in.. we are all active individuals... just put an ad on craigslist yesterday... have 2 openings.. one in may, and one in june. Check it out. http://bellingham.craigslist.org/roo/2926314999.html (title is Great location, good peoples, outdoorsy) under rooms & shares. Always looking for more peeps for fun adventures.... where you moving from?

~

Hi there,

Thanks for the response. I'm moving from Washington D.C to go explore the NW for the summer. I have flexibility from work to telecommute and wanted to take advantage of the opportunity and be out west.

I'm clean, non-smoker, yogi, eat and live healthy. I can contribute by teaching yoga to the housemates and I cook.

I'm planning to be there from June - August. If you are all into outdoors, then it would be fantastic to have housemates that are like-hearted.

peace,

Sameer

• 2 weeks later...

I go to school in bellingham and it is definitely a good place to do all of those things. You wont have a hard time finding a place over the summer because Western students either do not have a lease that goes through the summer or they do have a lease and a lot leave for break but sublet. Depending on where you live you may even be able to get a temp pass to the University rec cener though it might be expensive. There are however a couple gyms and tons of trails scattered throughout the Bellingham area. Oysterdome is my favorite.

sameer, if your still looking for an abode, i may know of a rent and can arrange it for you. call me any time for details. i am also shopping for steady climbing partners for the season and since this is kinda a bham thread i encourage anybody here to call on me for climbing. i write my own schedule, so im flexible. rope-rack-truck.

my magic number is:

360-739-8521