Outdoor practice wall in Tacoma?

Jamie

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spire Rock is not that bad. I was out there last summer with my wife and daughter and didn't see any syringes, nor did I get offered any drugs. I wouldn't go there at night necessarily...

It's hard to beat free if you are on a budget in Tacoma. And it has cracks, something Edgeworks doesn't have. I've taken falls on stoppers placed in Spire Rock. In the spring and summer, it can be a lovely place to hang out after work.

There is a video you can view on this page that shows the rock reasonably well. The video is of the guidebook I wrote about the rock.

http://www.websterart.com/html/spire.php

If you want the guidebook, buy it from the Tacoma Climbing gym, which is where we go when it rains in Tacoma:

http://www.edgeworksclimbing.com/

Just a warning: the WAC Basic Class will be at Spire the next 2 Saturdays (April 7 and 14) from about 7AM to 4PM. Of course there's no rules saying the general public can't use the rock but there will be about 60 of us on the thing.

Do they still have the ice axe heads embedded in the top so you can practice your boot/axe belay? The loose chockstone on a spindle in the chimney? Little dedication and rock identification tags attached here and there? I always kind of liked Spire, though not enough to drive there from Olympia very often.