Newbie looking for partner to learn from...

Austin88

Hey guys, I live in St. Louis right now but am moving out to the Seattle area no later than the first week of June. I want to climb as much as I can when I get there. Obviously I need to find a job there and am going to do that so not sure what my schedule will look like. But if anyone is interested in taking on a newbie to teach me or lead me a few climbs I would love to join you!!! I'm in excellent shape and would love to move fast, I took a mountaineering seminar in Colorado for a week in RMNP and thats the extent of my experience as well as just going to an indoor gym here in St. Louis. Let me know if your interested!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Austin, as far as finding partners: your best bet is probably to check back here in a few months when you're in town and ready to go do something. Not many people plan that far ahead, so if you post something in the partner's forum like "newbie looking to go cragging this weekend" or something, you might find some takers. Just be honest when describing your abilities -- there are plenty of people who don't mind taking new guys out.

Additionally, since you're moving into the area, you might start looking into some of the climbing clubs we have around here. The Mountaineers, BOEALPs and the Washington Alpine Club come to mind. They all offer basic mountaineering courses which will cover things like belaying, basic knots and ropework, basic safety techniques like escaping a belay, etc. They're not the only way to learn, but some people like the organized setting (I don't). I think they mostly start their classes in January, so you could start planning for next winter.

Also, buy a copy of Freedom of the Hills or The Mountaineering Handbook (or both) and read them cover to cover. That will give you something to do until June!

Rob thanks for the reply! I have basic skills in belaying, the only real climb I have done so far though is the first Flatiron in Boulder when I did the mountaineering seminar. Winter storms made it close to impossible to climb inside of RMNP the week I was there but we did some basic snow travel with crampons and how to set up snow anchors. We also did a little ice climbing in the park. I wouldn't be confident leading at all at this stage because my skills are very rudimentary so far being I'm in St. Louis. I bought Freedom of the Hills a few months ago already! Great pick up and I just wish I could go out and practice all that stuff. I just read Ed Viesturs books and Anatoli Boukreev's books and I just get so anxious to climb, I'm tired of reading! I'll have to look into those clubs though, but I would prefer to just go out and do it with someone who is willing to take me under their wings and learn for free...I'll just drive and haul there gear for them in return and buy the first round of beers I guess haha...I'll just have to post the week before I move out like you said, just didn't want to waste anytime as soon as I get out there, thanks again Rob! Cheers!

I'm a big believer in self-learned skills and I found the atmosphere of the Mountaineers stifling and uncomfortable -- but there are plenty of guys here who have great things to say about structured learning. Also, for a new guy who doesn't know anybody, the clubs offer a sure-fire way to learn basic skills AND meet like-minded individuals. I did the basic climbing course with the Mountaineers, but I couldn't stand the club enough to do any of the course climbs, I went out climbing with my friends instead.

I moved here a little over a year ago from STL and can relate (tired of reading books and just want to climb!). I moved here mostly just to have a place that I could climb. Send me a PM if you have any questions about moving, the Northwest in general, or places to climb. Later.

I'm a big believer in self-learned skills and I found the atmosphere of the Mountaineers stifling and uncomfortable -- but there are plenty of guys here who have great things to say about structured learning. Also, for a new guy who doesn't know anybody, the clubs offer a sure-fire way to learn basic skills AND meet like-minded individuals. I did the basic climbing course with the Mountaineers, but I couldn't stand the club enough to do any of the course climbs, I went out climbing with my friends instead.

:tup:

I'm so with you, Rob, on the Mountaineers....nice folks, not my brand, tho. Plus, for me, I tend to lean the ways of a maverick.

Self taught with some pointers from intelligent local climbers is a great way to go for some folks.

I'm rather friendly and outgoing so I ask ANYONE I come into contact with if they climb and send out personal emails to folks (just got back from trip no 1 in Leavenworth--met several cool folks, too).

For me, I like to make it a win-win experience for everyone. I offer to drive the or pay for all gas and use my new rope instead of theirs in exchange for a bit of teaching. :)

<--- Also AAI has a leading course.....anyone do any of their courses?

BTW, I sleep with Freedom of the Hills. under my pillow. Osmosis DOES work!