Descending Rings

oOFantasticOo

What's your opinion on this: Went to buy some descending rings for rapping off of alpine routes. Salesperson said, "You use those?" He asked why I wouldn't simply rap off of the webbing I'd used for my anchor. I didn't have an answser. I've simply always used them. We speculated togehter about why one might (or might not) use descending rings. Your thoughts?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular routes already typically have slings at the rap points. Most people might cut away any old stuff that looks beat and maybe add another sling to the collection. Are you going to untie them all and put them through the rap ring you bought? And then retie them? And do that at every station?

Descending rings are good for popular rap stations as each time someone raps and pulls the ropes the webbing/cord is weakened. If you use rap rings, use two if you are using the cheap rolled aluminum. Hardware store quick links are handier as you can just add an addtional one to existing webbing without retying. In the Tetons on frequently guided routes they used 1/2" static caving rope with two beafy 1/2" steel quick links. I typically carry a rap ring or quick link or two to improve rap stations on popular routes, otherwise I just rap off of webbing or cord that I have placed.

Using rap rings also makes it easier to pull the rope. Less friction and less chance of the rope actually acting as a brake against itself as you try and pull it.

I wouldn’t bother retying all the old stuff into the rap rings. If you can get the knot out of a good piece I would add the rings and webbing I was installing and clean up all the old junk.

I used to bring them with me when I was new but I never ended up using them. Too much trouble. And I usually have a few old biners I wouldn't mind leaving behind, anyway, for when I'm worried about the rope not pulling smoothly.

I like Dan's quick-link suggestion, though.

I used to bring them with me when I was new but I never ended up using them. Too much trouble. And I usually have a few old biners I wouldn't mind leaving behind, anyway, for when I'm worried about the rope not pulling smoothly.

I like Dan's quick-link suggestion, though.

Same here. :tup:

I've usually attach my chalk bag and nut tool to my harness with wire gate biners I've booty'ed.

I'm 99% sure they're full strength if I need them in a pinch, I'm 100% sure they'll hold static loads for a rapel, and I'm 0% concerned about leaving them behind if it's useful.

I've got 2 rap rings someone gave me as a b-day present years ago. They still have a bow on them :)