Adams/Hood/St. Helens ~6/2-6/6?

senior_cush

hey there,

I'm a New Englander that'll be up in Seattle for a AA course up the Cascades that gets out 6/1. While I'm in the area I was hoping to tag on a few other big mtns (preference for Hood and Adams but I'm open to suggestions). I got turned around on Adams due to weather last summer but ended up doing Rainier a few days later. Pretty easy going dude-just looking to extend my trip and get a little more bang for my buck. Hope to hear back from a few folks!

Pat

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Seattle to Hood transportation is quite straightforward. I'm leaning towards spending a few days boarding after attempting Hood but I'm wondering if anyone knows of an easy way to get a) from Hood (timberline) to Trout Lake for a southern approach of Adams and b) Trout Lake to Portland transportation?

Thanks in advance!

Pat

There's a good chance that I'd be up for Adams or Hood but I'll have to see what my schedule is like a little closer to June. Either mountain is only a few hours drive from my house so it's easy for me to get there. Keep in touch!

Until I get a job (and possibly after, if I can score a gig with flexi hours), I'm generally packed and ready to go. If time comes around and you've got an interesting route in mind and nobody to do it with, drop me a line or message on facebook...

Benjamin Beckerich

503-410-4zero9zero

I don't really care to make plans way in advance... doesn't ever seem to work out.

I'd be down for either Hood or Adams. Cabin fever is really starting to kick in and by that time I'll probably full blown crazy.....

As for getting from Hood to Trout lake its a very easy and straight forward drive. If you're asking if theres something like a bus route between the two I'm not sure.

As for Pico, how long did you want to spend in Mexico? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to take a decent amount of time off work so I'm definitely interested.

Oh hey Ben(Of the NW type) Get any ice climbing in over the winter?

there is no public transit other than a taxi? that would take you from hood to trout lake. btw from trout lake to climbing is still another ~20-30 minutes of driving.

Your best bet on any transportation stuff is someone with a car, or renting a car.

there is no public transit other than a taxi? that would take you from hood to trout lake. btw from trout lake to climbing is still another ~20-30 minutes of driving.

Your best bet on any transportation stuff is someone with a car, or renting a car.

I've never been to Cold Creek TH, but the drive up from Trout Lake to Bird Lake TH took us about an hour and a half in October, in muddy, 4x4 terrain.. I'd definitely plan to have a vehicle- rent or ride with your partner.

There's a good chance that I'd be up for Adams or Hood but I'll have to see what my schedule is like a little closer to June. Either mountain is only a few hours drive from my house so it's easy for me to get there. Keep in touch!

Sounds good Ben, I definitely will!

Until I get a job (and possibly after, if I can score a gig with flexi hours), I'm generally packed and ready to go. If time comes around and you've got an interesting route in mind and nobody to do it with, drop me a line or message on facebook...

I don't really care to make plans way in advance... doesn't ever seem to work out.

I'm the same way, my plans usually start to materialize a few days out. But with flying to the opposite coast and figuring out flights etc...I'm just trying to come up with a tentative plan and find a few folks that are interested. I'll touch base as it gets a little closer for sure.

As for Pico, how long did you want to spend in Mexico? I'm pretty sure I'd be able to take a decent amount of time off work so I'm definitely interested.

Sounds good Eric I'll keep you in the loop for Hood/Adams as well. Last July we were able to drive partway up to the cold spring trailhead so in early June I'm guessing the same is likely to be true again this year. I don't plan to rent a car so I was inquiring about public transit for the most part and figured if I could somehow get to Trout Lake I'd hoof it or find other climbers at the ranger station. Plans are definitely a work in progress but was hoping to find partners that could drive in exchange for beer! As for Orizaba I've been toying with the idea of spending about 8-10 days, doing some of the other nearby volcanoes since there's a few worthwhile ones closeby (La Malininche for sure, Iztaccihuatl?). I have one 'maybe' so far on that trip. Any interest?

Hey!

I am also from the northeast. I want to climb Mt.Hood this June as well but have no climbing partners out east that can make it. I would have to know relatively soon if its a done deal and we can go, so I can book my flight. What days exactly where you planning on climbing? Are you guys going to try to do an alpine climbing route? Feel free to call me at 781-258-8121, figuring its easier to talk over phone than over a forum.

-Alex Smith

How's the resort skiing at Hood in June, worth it??

Not unless you want to practice slalom/GS. Resort skiing on Hood in June is limited to Palmer snowfield (Timerline ski area), which is divided up into about 15 private race lanes and one public lane, all on mellow terrain. The public lane has no gates, and is mush by 11 AM. There may be snow left on the amply wide, also mellow, Magic Mile run which is directly below Palmer snowfield, but it will be marginal in June.

With a free wilderness permit you can boot or skin above Palmer snowfield and get into harder snow later in the day. This is ungroomed crud - i.e. sastrugi, chicken heads, suncupped corn, interspersed with the occasional patch of windblown fresh for variety.

Much better June skiing is on N and E sides, but non-resort.

How's the resort skiing at Hood in June, worth it??

Not unless you want to practice slalom/GS. Resort skiing on Hood in June is limited to Palmer snowfield (Timerline ski area), which is divided up into about 15 private race lanes and one public lane, all on mellow terrain. The public lane has no gates, and is mush by 11 AM. There may be snow left on the amply wide, also mellow, Magic Mile run which is directly below Palmer snowfield, but it will be marginal in June.

With a free wilderness permit you can boot or skin above Palmer snowfield and get into harder snow later in the day. This is ungroomed crud - i.e. sastrugi, chicken heads, suncupped corn, interspersed with the occasional patch of windblown fresh for variety.

Much better June skiing is on N and E sides, but non-resort.

You should be a salesman! I appreciate your brutal honesty and may very well leave the board at home. I know suncupped snow would be a big issue but had hoped over at the resort things might be better. Ah well more time for climbing! Thx

I would be a terrible salesman because my pitch would always be a disclaimer listing everything that was wrong! In this case I not only did that, but worse - I was incorrect when I said there is nothing to ride unless you want to practice slalom/GS.

I am used to skiing higher up on the Palmer snowfield in the summer, where it is fun to poach gates after the ski teams are finished and before they tear down, so that is where my head is and I totally spaced out on the fact that snowboard camps run all summer lower down. In a good snow year (this year) there will be ample snow on the Magic Mile run below, which is groomed every night. The snowboard camps build big jumps on snow that has been consolidated by snowcats, but unfortunately these are not available to the public. They are accessed by private rope tows that are brought in for the summer.

You can definitely have a fun day riding on the Magic Mile in June. A snowboard would also be nice to have for an early afternoon descent (when snow softens) from either Hood or Adams. Suncupping won't be bad that early in the year and it's not unusual to have fresh snow up high in June. Early in the day, however, the snow higher up can be rough and icy.