Oregon Rock from above...

corvallisclimb

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice, thanks for sharing. :tup:

I was just looking into dreaming about a ski tour down that way.

Don't dream, just do it! After this and last weeks dump all of Tombstone area was finally sitting pretty, this week should set it up rather nicely again for a little bit more fun. There where tracks up there all over Tombstone, but non on any of the stuff to the right. If you have two cars you can do a really nice tour there with a car shuttle. Starting up at Iron Mountain and working your way east with a car parked down at Lost Prairie CG hitting all that open terrain you can see in the video... the season aint over yet!

Awesome video, love that area. I have started studying (just barely) for my private pilot, got hooked when I used to fly spotter at work occasionally here in the valley, can't wait until I can make some similar flights like this one.

Just wondering and correct me if I am wrong but it looks like what Plaidman is referencing in the video between 2:30 and 3:00 is Wolf Rock maybe? Iron Mountain is after you film Washington, I can see you flying at it and Cone etc at 4:35-4:45 on your way back home. I've haven't been to Wolf yet, but that is what I came up with in watching the flight. Looks like you fly past it heading east at 1:18, then circle around by it again coming from the east heading west from 2:30 - 3:00 and then you circle around to the south, east, then northeast and fly over Smith Reservior at 3:12. Anyway, I didn't recognize that formation from 1:18 to 3:00 and did some google earth and came up with Wolf, don't know for sure. Maybe I am screwed up.

Thanks very much for posting this video.

I had the same question as plaidman:

Wondering what the peak was at between 2:30 sec and 3:00 sec.

but I think your answer isn't correct:

.. and plaidman thats Iron Mountain

Iron is on the video and comes into view about 4:20. I'm still curious about the peak in the video about 2:30 to 3:00.

and yes, the skiing around Tombstone is pretty nice. Here's a picture from a week or so ago from near the top of Iron:

6975033689_1ff3ddf260_b.jpg

I'd love to get some photos/video of Jefferson. If you're flying again anytime soon, I'd dig coming along (and helping with costs). I am in Corvallis, too. PM me if you can take along a passenger..

Ya JoeMack, it is Wolf Rock. Like I said above I thought everyone knew what Wolf Rock is, so I thought plaidman was referring to 4:30-5:00 where Iron Mountain is.

Flying weather sucks right now, but maybe we can meet up sometime this Spring/Summer. Usually about $50 per person per hour the engine is running with two people in the 172.

I think we saw your tracks then heading down the West face of Iron Mountain. I'm always lookin for people to ski with in Corvallis, drop me a line sometime.