Light weight biners - what do you like?

Jim

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bd nutrinos, hotwires, Ozs, WC orbit, nitros etc. user preference on a little more weight for more size. camp nano 23 are super light, but not the best when using gloves in the 'pine. Works great with bare hands that you can feel, even if you crag with a 10.2.

Stay away from the metolius mini jet whatevers, so small they are unnecessarily hard to use, not sure how a great company like metolius came out with a product that seems so obviously terrible.

I personally dislike the really small ones and have fumbled BD Nutrinos out of my hands. A balance of function and light weight is key for me. I'm very happy with some Mammut carabiners I picked up for pretty inexpensively at Pro Mountain Sports http://promountainsports.com/index.php/climbing/carabiners/non-locking/mammut-element-w-g.html

I've got a crap load of these things :tup:

Trango used to make them from a nearly identical mold. Reliable, nice size, highly functional, nice snappy gates that have held up. Not the lightest out there but the difference between 20 of these and 20 Camp Nano/Metolius Micro's is only 7 oz.

I've got a crap load of these things

Trango used to make them from a nearly identical mold. Reliable, nice size, highly functional, nice snappy gates that have held up. Not the lightest out there but the difference between 20 of these and 20 Camp Nano/Metolius Micro's is only 7 oz.

I personally dislike the really small ones

Completely agree. I wanted to leave a pile of those little camp ones on the top of Sherpa Peak after using a partner's gear for the climb.

I know they're not the lightest, but I have some of the Black Diamond Hotwires. They work with my rope and hands and don't make me feel like I'm trying to clip to a keychain like those little ones do. Hard to knock them when you can get blemished ones for under $5 on REI Outlet right now.

I rack gear with BD neutrinos and just about all of my draws are made out of WC Xenons.

Love the action and full size of the WC biners for my case of hamfistitis. They're pretty light without breaking the bank too if you buy them in the 5 packs. Just got 10 for a little over $50 to replace various draws I've lost/partners have kept last year. http://www.backcountry.com/wild-country-xenon-wire-anodized-carabiner-5-pack

I favor different biners for different kinds of climbing. For quick-draws on sport/crag routes, I love the ultralight biners like the nano and Metolius for the BOLT end of the quickdraw, with a more generously gated biner on the ROPE end. I agree that the Metolius is virtually unusable with gloves, but I haven't had that problem with the nano, so I do carry nanos on alpine and ice climbs. But the Metolius minis work great for clipping my umbilicals to my ice tools. They are unobtrusive, and the tiny gate keeps them secure. I LOVE almost anything DMM or Wild Country makes, so my alpine/ice rack runs to those. I like them so well I rep those companies for my local SAR unit. I detest bent-gates; and anything that doesn't lock has a wiregate. I do rig half or more of my quickdraws with lightweight lockers on the rope end. All of the other posters' recommendations are good, and I agree that Mammut may be the best value if price is a major factor. I own a bunch, and like them, just prefer the ultralights for sport and DMMs for ergonomics.

Nothing comes close to the WC Helium, once you've gotten used to a keylock nose it's hard to go back. This biner is the lightest for it's large opening dimension in a keylock. Expense is the only drawback. Every time you think a simple mechanism can't be further refined the engineers step forward. WC spent over a year developing a new forging process to come up with this cutting edge biner.

Also for the super light some Metolius Mini wiregates for the alpine climbs with short roped pitches. These things are kind of tricky to use and it helps to develop a technique. If you push on the edge of the wire gate instead of putting your finger right in the middle it makes them easier to use.

DMM has a new keylock locker that looks to be the lightest for a keylock locker but the opening is a bit small.

I haven't tried them but the New Petzl Ange S and Ange L might give the Heliums some competition in the keylock wiregate arena.

WC nitros ... i own and use neutrinos, heliums, phantoms, specters, shields, nanos, FS minis, various solid gates, etc ...

the nitros have a minimal notch, are decently light, full size, easy to clip and fairly cheap

i find no functional difference between my heliums and nitros, so i save moola