Looking for old passive pro

Nick_Bose

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No love for the SMC's huh? Given I've never tried using them outside of the Red River Gorge but the one's that friend had worked really well in SS. But then again I've never had the "pleasure" of falling on one either.

Was it chocked or cammed at the time? They work fine as nuts, but are basically death as cams.

I believe they only went to #9 or #10 and then the longer ones that are filled with holes all over were officially marketed as 'Chimney Chocks'.

PC060057.jpg

I consider Titons the forerunner of Tricams and they were particularly bomb back in the Gunks in horizontals. I kept winnowing down what I carried over the years and ended up with just a #8 sown onto a shoulder sling, but even that's been hanging up for a decade or more as they aren't terribly useful on basalt compared to say HB/DMM Alloy Offsets and cams.

Yes, I believe all of the larger sizes with round holes were considered chimney chocks.

However... there were several versions - I have #9's with both slots and holes... Holed #10's much smaller than slotted #10's...

Left margin photo from their nut placement treatise shows slots only going to #8 - holes thereafter. So three versions at least I am guessing...