Feathered Friends Vireo - Fabric and Overfill?

SeanO

I've read everything on this site about the FF Vireo, and it looks like many people are using it. It looks like the bag I've always wanted, but I have a few questions.

• First, if you own it, do you like it? When do you use it?
  • Which fabric? Nanoshield, Pertex Endurance UL, or eVent? If you have any of these, which would you chose if you could buy again?
  • How much overfill, if any? Did you request overfill in the feet or in the torso?
  • Is there a defined top and bottom side in terms of insulation distribution? As in, is there less insulation on the bottom of the bag to account for compression on the pad, and more on the top to loft? Or is it evenly distributed?

Thanks guys!

Edited by whitenoise

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've have one in Event for 6 or 7 years. Decent bag in stock form. After a night shivering @ -18F I had the max over fill added (4 or 5 oz can't remember but FFs knows) last year (torso mostly) and a simple collar (a first I was told for this bag). Now the bag really rocks for me ;) Still don't want to use it at -18F again though.

There are no side baffles so you can more the down around ifthe bag is not over stuffed. Cool idea that never really worked for me using it as a climbing bag. Bag is narrow and tight. I am neither so if I rolled over the bag did as well which made for cold spots.

Thanks for the response, Dane! Very helpful information. I'm actually quite surprised you've used it below 0 degrees, as that's likely the lowest I would ever consider using it even with my belay jacket on.

What do you think of the drawstring? Too thin? Does the drawcord stay closed?

I'm thinking that because it's so narrow, it might be better to get some over fill added to the underside so that if I roll over at night (I'm a side-sleeper), then I won't experience a sudden shock of cold...

I picked one up last year, and it was one of the first ones in Pertex. It saw a lot of use so far and I really like it.

If I had to buy it again, I'd probably still go with the Pertex or Nano (not sure if they still make them in nano?).

I did 2oz of overfill, one in the feet and one in the torso. Coldest I've been out in it was probably mid-teens and I was alright.

I always plan on using this bag with a jacket unless it is mid summer. How cold it is defines how big of jacket. -18F was a huge surprise and BIG mistake on my part. Pretty miserable night becasue of it. Thank Gawd for a hot water bottle. Would have brought a different bag if I had known.

But those kind of temps told me what I needed to make the bag warmer for my own use. A better seal on top was one and as much loft as the bag would support.

I was happy with the bag previous. Thrilled with it now.

Thanks for the replies guys. What size are you both? I'm 5'10" 190. Just a little concerned I might compress the down a bit in the hip area... going to check one out at FF in the next couple days.

I'm 5'9" 170 and the regular is cut a little narrower than other bags I've used, but after the first few times using it I stopped noticing. Haven't had and compression issues due to it being cut a little narrow though. Trying one out will be the only way to know for sure though.

I've been using one for about two years now. I don't know what fabric it is, probably the EVent. No overfill, but I only use it in the spring/summer. You hard-assed bastards must like to suffer.

It's a good bag. So far, I've paired it with a FF Helios and been toasty down to about freezing while sleeping on snow with a Therm-a-rest prolite 3 3/4 length.

I'm 6'3" 215. The bag is snug but I haven't had any unusual problems with compression and cold spots.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and experiences.

I rented a Vireo from FF the other day and tried it out for a few nights. Brilliant bag. The rental at 72" was 17 ounces on the dot and lofted better than my other 20 degree bag with 1.5 times the fill and 2x the weight. Slept really well, and pulling the bag off my core works great for venting in the morning. Was plenty roomy too -- now I don't see why I'd want more wasted airspace to heat up in a bag.

Pulled the trigger and ordered one in Shield EX with 2 oz of overfill and a 900 fill upgrade. Ended up going with the 72" instead of the 68", though that could have worked. FF staff was great, but Max in particular gave awesome customer service. If you have any questions about FF stuff, ask for him and he'll give you all the info you want.

Should get it in about a month or so, will let ya'll know how it turned out.