Pinnacle Peak winter approach?

Kerr Adams

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't remember, but I think the trail may head around the west side of the peak. I think that the better approach for a winter climb of the North Ridge is from the bowl between Pinnacle and Castle (have not climbed from the other side). Be sure that "conditions" have settled before you go.

Kerr,

The trail will indeed take you to the N ridge. If you follow the trail you will be on the West side of the ridge and can follow a gully/depression to the ridge crest.

The Pinnacle/Castle bowl that Matt mentions is on the East side of the ridge and can also be used to gain the ridge crest, but my experience is that it has a higher avalanche potential under most conditions. The actual climb to the ridge crest is probably a bit easier from the west than from the east.

Jim

Edited by JBC

I approached the North Ridge from the road and accessed the ridge on the west side via a two pitch ice gulley.

How is the East ridge? I'm looking for a little less spiciness than the N sounds.

Dunno. I recall looking at the east face from Castle Peak one winter, and it looked kind of steep and hard. Don't remember taking a look at the east ridge.

How is the East ridge? I'm looking for a little less spiciness than the N sounds.

East ridge is easier than the North ridge. Pretty much 3rd class as I recall. Exposed, but never difficult. Nice climb/scramble.

Jim

Look at google maps and turn on the "terrain" feature. You need to go down the road to the lakes, not Narada. If you take the Narada trail you end up dropping down in a river bottom and having to climb back out about 500'. Don't ask me how I know that.

Keeps your eyes open for spirits/ghosts if you go at night. This is right where that Iraq vet that killed the ranger ended up.

It's best to car camp on this climb, otherwise you run out of daylight because of the Longmire gate.

• 2 weeks later...