Climbing harness recs for kidz?

octopuswithafez

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Trango Junior full body harness for the grandkids and I have found it to be quite suitable. Easy to put on and adjust. I also have a B-D regular style harness for the kids. The kids need to be a little larger to wear it. It's easier for the kids to lean back and lower with the tie-in at the waist instead of the chest. At 40 lbs., I'd go with the full body.

When the child is real little their waist is so small that the harness doesn't 'lock' down above the illiac crest. The fear is that if they flipped backwards there's a chance they could slip out of the harness.

Hard to have happen, but ya never know. That's why a chest harness or a full body can be necessary with the lil guys and gals.

Edited by whoiswillhockett

• 2 weeks later...

I got a kids Alpine Bod and use a webbing loop twisted into an eight to make a chest harness for them.

My three tear old, his six year old sis, his eight year old sis and his eleven year old brother can all fit the same harness (older bro doesn't usr the chest piece). I own two.

I connect the chest piece to the belay loop with a couple lockers.

• 2 weeks later...

My middle boy is about 50lbs or so and climbs with a sit harness...it really depends on how they are "shaped"...are they toddler or boy shaped?

All my kids are shrimps and would still be in a full body harness even at age 12 if you went by weight.

Sounds weird, but weight is not what to go by.

• 5 weeks later...

I've got a 40 pound four y/o and use an older model singing rock full body harness with good results. My boy seems to feel secure enough in this harness to swing in it, randomly fall off the wall (testing Dad's reaction time!), and flip up-side down in it. I imagine any model full body harness for a child would provide similar security. I would be much more nervous with him in a waist harness at this age.

• 6 months later...

Anyone have any recommendations for a 28 lb 16 month old? He's already outgrown his 'little' 10 foot wall and I want to start taking him to the gym to get some longer routes in with mom and dad. There are only a couple that seem to be for the 25-40 lb class, so I might just have to travel around and see if I can find any in stock anywhere and try them out...