Spring Break Ideas?

mhux

Hey there, I've got March 23rd-31st off for spring break, and instead of hitting a warm beach and hoping for televised party madness (who does that anyway?), I'd rather go climbing...any suggestions on what's usually good during that time period?

Obviously it's weather dependent (esp. for the alpine), but is any good rock like Leavenworth reliably dry by then? Lots of ideas already floating around, eg. Sisters traverse, Smith Rock, Hood antics...lets hear the WA options! (since I'm in Salem)

Or is the best advice to keep an open schedule and watch the weather?

thanks in advance!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd try Lake Powell or Daytona Beach. Don't forget to bring a bottle of flavored vodka and a video camera.

Seriously though, why would you go the the PNW in March when you're right next door to the Utah desert, Red Rocks, Zion, etc.?

I'm heading to City of Rocks. Thought I sent you an email seeing if you wanted to join in. Cars full now, but we can still tie in if you get there.

Might be too cold anyway. My alternative is to keep heading down to Moab, Castleton south side etc etc (stuff in sun) if the city is cold and windy.

Like pete suggests

Edited by billcoe

I always enjoyed heading out to Idaho during spring break, realizing the weather was sucking, taking a right down through NV, looking for aliens, playing pool in Jiggs, taking a dip in my favorite hot springs (Hot Creek), getting down to Red Rocks for the tasty varnish and hiking around Valley of Fire.

Like I mentioned in my post, I'm in salem for school, unfortunately NOT salt lake. Otherwise this wouldn't be a question! Most of my climbing friends are headed towards Bishop, I don't see why you wouldn't put in a few more hours and go to Red Rocks instead of wasting your time bouldering :)

a warm rock roadtrip idea for early spring...stop when the sky clears:

city of rock -> moab -> zion -> red rocks -> cochise -> el potrero

bring your passport for the last 2 options (note: have not driven this last leg since the start of the mexican civil war)

Hey there, I've got March 23rd-31st off for spring break, and instead of hitting a warm beach and hoping for televised party madness (who does that anyway?)

The mountains will always be there, but spring break with college girls...well thats for a limited time only.

Go South Go big and share some pics when you get back!!!

Guess I didn't really specify- I'm looking for what's good in the PNW during that timeframe, sure there's sunny rock if you drive, but that's not quite what I had in mind...

Surprised no one's mentioned Canada after that recent thread, probably the best 'value' for driving ~13 hours, no?

Guess I didn't really specify- I'm looking for what's good in the PNW during that timeframe, sure there's sunny rock if you drive, but that's not quite what I had in mind...

Surprised no one's mentioned Canada after that recent thread, probably the best 'value' for driving ~13 hours, no?

Where do you live and how far do you want to drive? Your location tag line says you live in Salt Lake city...think Moab, Zion, etc etc will be awesome. Is it sunny rock or something else you want?

For sunny rock Smith will certainly be fantastic, so will Hell's canyon and some other spots. Don't ya think that Index and Squamish will be wet. Maybe Leavenworth will be a worthwhile drive.....

looks like he is based out of salem for the spring break. smith should be good in the spring. and close. Leavenworth will be good but there is a chance it could be raining. Spring is the time that they get what little rain falls for the year. Easy forecast will prevent a wasted drive north. I doubt that you will get rained out of smith though.

Hells Canyon. I'll be there for a week. My new favorite spring destination. Although I have been to Shapps Hot Creek and it's fantastic.

MH

hanman jangles the jewels at Hot Creek! Yes an entire creek of hot water flowing through a desolate valley. Can you imagine what this place would be like with a few spring break chicas!

Hot_Springs_2_.JPG

Valley_of_fire_3.jpg

old dirty poaching forbiden fruit

Edited by shapp

You have a week so make a road trip out of it. Smith is a weekend trip for Salem. Leavenworth is a long weekend trip. If you haven't already been there, I would hit Yosemite Valley and do some classics. The weather could crap out on you but it is a must visit place and there is so much to do and see. You might could be climbing in a t-shirt, snow or anything in-between. I wouldn't discount Bishop either. There is a lot more than pebble pulling down there. Why limit it to 13 or so hours? In the grand scheme of things a few more hours of driving opens up a lot more doors and can still be done in a day. After a winter of rain wouldn't it be nice to climb in shorts and a t-shirt for a week before classes start up again?

I thought Spring break was for doing lots of drugs, and banging lots of chicks. :brew: 8D :rocken:

But if you are absolutely determined on going climbing, make sure you DON'T go to Squamish or Index. Rain rain rain, generally. Smith is awesome but probably busy, but its a pretty big zone and easy to avoid the crowds in my (one) experience.

Edited by marc_leclerc

You're thinking good rock climbing in the PNW in a couple of weeks? :lmao:. You're joking.

Unless you score a perfect couple of days, you're wasting your time. Everything's all snowed up still. Go to the desert down south. Why not drive a bit further than the 11 hours or whatever you say up into Canada.