REI explores another user group

Beck

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every one of you grousing about REI sound like a pitiful sad sack that can't get over being dumped. I think it's best for everyone to just realize that she is not coming back. REI is no longer a COOP that specializes in climbing gear.

Your sweetheart has left you for a demographic for whom money is no object and high quality is valued very near that of convenience. Sorry scuzzy climbing bums, you can't compete with that.

Getting on with your life is the best thing to do. Stalking will help nobody.

[ 11-22-2002, 10:16 AM: Message edited by: chucK ]

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

I know it hurts Cavbra, but just face it. She ain't comin' back.

I know your wasted brain matter will never regenerate from when your mother dropped you. It's ok we know you took the short bus to school. You're still stupid [Moon]

You may be right, chucK. But she continues to taunt us and maybe she means it -- what are we to do?

Meanwhile, there are places like (for Seattle shoppers) Pro Mountain Sports and Feathered Friends and Outdoors n' More and Second Bounce, and we can head up to Vancouver for the "coop" that isn't quite what it could be but is pretty darn good. And for mail order or internet - there's no limit. So aside from the issue of whether or not REI has strayed from its mission, it is about convenience. If REI truly delivered what they say they are offering, you could go to one Superstore for your ice screws, camera pouch, outdoor evening fashion wear, latte, and snow park permit and you'd be good to go. I'm glad to hear that Julie says they are "working on this," though in some ways I almost hope not. If they are able to undercut the smaller specialty shops, we might end up with less access to gear and equipment advice rather than more.

quote:

Originally posted by Cobra:

quote:

Originally posted by sexual chocolate:

Hey! They ALWAYS sold Toblerone!

I know but it sure makes a supposed outdoor retailer look silly
[Wink]
Yeah! HAW! Get this...this hardware store I go to sells candy too. Can you believe that!!?? Freakin' sellouts. [Mad][Moon]

quote:

Originally posted by chucK:

quote:

Originally posted by Cobra:

quote:

Originally posted by sexual chocolate:

Hey! They ALWAYS sold Toblerone!

I know but it sure makes a supposed outdoor retailer look silly
[Wink]
Yeah! HAW! Get this...this hardware store I go to sells candy too. Can you believe that!!?? Freakin' sellouts.
[Mad][Moon]
Hey you'll get over being a dumb ass some day. [laf]

-

Soon your sugardaddies will all be gone

You wake up some cold day and find you're alone

You'll call for me but I'm gonna tell you bye, bye, bye

When I turn around and walk away you'll cry, cry, cry

You're gonna cry, cry, cry and you'll cry alone

When evryone's forgotten and you're left on your own

You're gonna cry, cry, cry

[ 11-22-2002, 10:57 AM: Message edited by: chucK ]

quote:

Originally posted by Beck:

It looks like REI is selling DOWNHILL SKI packages now. Maybe the've got a deal to sell Mountain Safety Research and,...

Um, REI sold MSR to Cascade Designs in 2001.

They may have even sold downhill skis for longer than 20 years, I think I got some there when just knee-high to a grasshopper.