Bivy Tents

JDCH

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at the MH Direkt 2 right now for my shasta attempt end of may. I was looking at the EV2, but may now get the Direkt 2 instead. Uli bivies in snow caves in some of his videos so I doubt he even really uses this tent but I cannot find a lighter tent that is durable as MH has been for me. I just wish I could find anyone selling it at a discount. Even throw in the footprint and free shipping and I am in.

I don't see how it's better than the Firstlight. The Direkt2 is shorter, narrower, has non-breathable laminate fabric, no mesh to vent the front door if you want, and it costs hundreds more. All for a couple ounces of weight savings, and likely better performance in high winds due to the non-stretch fabric.

Big advantage of the Firstlight is that it breathes well. Having a single-wall laminate guarantees significant condensation build-up. You'd likely be far more wet in the Direkt2 in the morning than in the Firstlight.

Still seems like the Firslight is better. What am I missing?

I like the 2"-3" higher also. It is shorter by 1" and narrower by 3 inches. Saying a tent breathes better when you haven't tested both is moot though. It does have a vent up top. The video of the Direkt 2 on top of a car driving down the road was cool to show how stable it was :-) I am curious about actual weights. Most brands underestimate the weight :-). I think they are both about the same except the weight. Plus I like that they (Mountain Hardwear) sponsored people like Ueli Steck or even Ed Viesturs before he was all that famous.

I have a two door Bibler I-Tent which is awesome, it's heavier than the Firstlight but slightly more versatile.

and the I-tent much more durable. I have used both a lot.

The Intergal Designs versions even better for durability imo.

But each gains weight along with the added durability.

Sit through a good storm at 14 on Denali though and you'll want the durability and the extra weight won't mean a thing.

Summer in the Cascades or Rockies it is not such a big deal.

I had a chance to try the new MH Direkt2, albeit only in my living room. It is much MORE sturdy than my 7yr old Lighthouse (I think it was updated to the new HiLight tent). The narrow strips of X-Pac fabric on the Direkt2 running adjacent to the poles tensions the poles more than the HiLight seams without adding significant weight (the strips are probably at a max 2 inches wide). However it isn't as sturdy as my old (and much heavier) Bibler I-Tent. I would have purchased one if it wasn't so short. At 6' - 6' 1", my head and feet significantly touched the ends without a sleeping bag. It does have much more length than the Brookes Range Rocket Tent.

I ordered mine (MH Direkt2) from REI and it should be here in a week hopefully. Only paid 350 with the annual discount and member dividend. I am 6'1-6'2" 195lbs so I hope I am not too cramped. :-) I may buy the EV2 also which is a little bigger but heavier. I believe the Direkt2 does not need to be seam sealed?

Cool, glad you made your choice, and nice call with the REI discount and divvy. Make sure to post a review and some pictures!

Don't know if it needs to be seam sealed, but I think they would state that somewhere on the website or at worst in the docs that come with the tent.

One thing that seems interesting about the tent that I didn't notice before: the door fabric is rated at a 1200mm water column, which is the same waterproofness as good silicone impregnated nylon (silnylon). The floor is 2000mm, which is pretty standard for an ultralight tent (the Firstlight is 2000mm as well). Doesn't state a water column for the canopy, but my guess is that it's somewhere in between the door and the floor.

In real world terms, this means you might get some misting inside the tent if it's raining, in addition to the condensation, but it's more waterproof than the Firstlight (though no specs are published on its water column). Also, if the ground is really wet, putting a knee on the ground might cause some seep-through. The misting issue is common with silnylon tents like tartpents (Henry Shires) and the Firstlight. On the upside, this also means it's likely more breathable than something like the EV2.

Curious to see what you think of it in the field!

Edited by whitenoise

A few questions on this topic, I've been in the same search for a few months now. Curious to see what happens with the new tents this year but also been watching for deals on used tents.

The RAB/ID Latok Mountain looks interesting and sounds like they are making a vesti for it as well. Bit on the pricey end though.

Also waiting to see what First Ascent brings on April 2, apparently they have a few coming. Not sure on their quality, durability, etc. but will see.

My curiosity is with the water column ratings of the older Bibler I-Tent. Does anyone happen to know this information? I searched online a bit but can't seem to find much. Looking at a used tent possibly.

Thanks

that Rab Latok Mountain is an updated rendition of the Rab Summit Mountain. Looks like they added 10cm width, 5cm length, and 10cm height. I'd have to check one out in person to really see how it spaces and all but the summit mountain is a tight fit and i would not recommend it for 6footer/(s). I'm 5'8" and it is fine. I've shared it toe-head with someone 5'11 or 6ft and it was ok since we were good partners but it was tight, not much extra room for stuff if you've got puffy winter bags too, they'll be touching the walls plenty...which i dont worry about for me since my bag has a w/p shell

If Ivan can fit in a Firstlight, anybody can ;) Granted, it isn't east to actually close the door with him in it... I just replaced my first year Firstlight with one of the newer green ones. Seam sealing sure sucks, but hopefully I won't have to do it agian for years.

For major weather, the Integral Designs tents are hard to beat. The venting and pole attachments are superior to the BD Bibler ones imo, but the Biblers do have side guy points which is nice.

That new MH tent looks cool. If you get around to it, post a review after you've had some use in it.