REI has brought the ACME pant back

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kaskadskyjkozak,

http://www.rei.com/product/808791/rei-endeavor-convertible-pants-mens-32-inseam

actually been a godsend in my book, I love'm..maybe over east where it is humid 24/7 in the summer you want light nylon shorts etc.. but i have found them great year around in cascades-brisk AM up in mnts in summer. winter dont really need to unzip at all but get the job done well, pockets all zip, only occasionally notice tiny bit of snow going into gap where legs zip on.

Kaskadskyjkozak,

http://www.rei.com/product/808791/rei-endeavor-convertible-pants-mens-32-inseam

actually been a godsend in my book, I love'm..maybe over east where it is humid 24/7 in the summer you want light nylon shorts etc.. but i have found them great year around in cascades-brisk AM up in mnts in summer. winter dont really need to unzip at all but get the job done well, pockets all zip, only occasionally notice tiny bit of snow going into gap where legs zip on.

Nice. I have an original pair of the schoeller ones that came out around '04. I lost a few inches around the waist that year and ended up never wearing 'em again, so I may check these out (in medium) :-)

you telling me they had the acme as zip off or this 'rei endeavor' existed back when as a schoeller zip off? i guess either way thats pretty rad. i know schoeller is primo but my experience with any decent softshell for pants has generally been fine--some slightly better or worse than others but not by so discernible as to be dissatisfying margins. that said the rei endeavor material really works well..only ever gets wet a touch right at the cuff if no gatiers and very wet snow.

I also am a big fan of the Endeavor stuff. A zip-off soft shell/hiking pant. I've climbed Rainier in them and they will be my go-to non-insulated pant on Denali. I love that they zip-off! They are awesome pants. I do wish the DWR was a little better on them, but it's generally a pretty good pant.

I absolutely love the vest, though. Talk about awesome. Huge pockets, warm enough, etc.

Finally.

Best piece of outdoor clothing I've ever used. Bombproof Schoeller fabric, on sale, free ship:

link

Curious how you see them comparing to NW Alpines pants. The REI stuff on sale at $117.93 is still costlier than these made in America pants at $110: http://nwalpine.com/fastlight-pant

fastlight6.JPG

REI description says windproof to 16 mph...I don't know about you but I'd much rather take my NW alpine pants out, I've never had a problem in almost-can't-stand gusts! Maybe you're confused on 'best pant ever' :)

• 2 weeks later...
Finally.

Best piece of outdoor clothing I've ever used. Bombproof Schoeller fabric, on sale, free ship:

link

Curious how you see them comparing to NW Alpines pants. The REI stuff on sale at $117.93 is still costlier than these made in America pants at $110: http://nwalpine.com/fastlight-pant

fastlight6.JPG

I got a pair of NW Alpine's last year. I'm pretty tall, @ 6'5" and was concerned that the large size would not fit so I called them and they sent out a pair for me to try on... I paid for them after trying them on. I thought that was pretty cool of them to do that.

d

I got a pair of NW Alpine's last year. I'm pretty tall, @ 6'5" and was concerned that the large size would not fit so I called them and they sent out a pair for me to try on... I paid for them after trying them on. I thought that was pretty cool of them to do that.

d

Likewise. I was in between a small and medium and Bill sent the medium on faith for me to try on. Fit well and paid after.

One of the grommets ripped out a few weeks back and he had me send them in for repair, free of charge.

Great customer service at NWAlpine!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wearing a pair as we speak that I got while I was up in Raleigh. They were actually discounted down even more than the 117.83 on the tag, and I was also allowed to apply the 20% off coupon to them. I ended up spending $70 on them, and bought some extra pack straps with buckles to use as a belt for them (and another pair of soft shell pants I have). Great pants and the Schoeller Nanosphere fabric is awesome. I haven't yet had the courage to subject it to any of the abuse they show on the test videos though (honey/ketchup/red wine/etc.), to see if it really will just rinse off with water.

The Raleigh REI also does something they call the "perpetual garage sale", so they have a garage sale rack that they restock continuously rather than doing the big one-day events. I got an Arc'teryx Theta AR jacket for 9 bucks (retail $500) that has a small rip in the back I can repair with tape and seam glue. :D