why you should go to Canada?

Dane

Living in the PNW it is easy to forget just how close and how good world class ice climbing is. A twelve hour drive from Seattle will get you to the Banff/Lake Louise area and the potpourri of climbs available there with in a few minutes walk.

The few minutes walk has become even more important to me recently having barely been able to get out of bed for the last 4 months let alone walk. That, thankfully has changed again.

I originally had hoped to just be able to do the approaches with my friends and may be take some pictures on this trip. Climbing I thought might be too much to ask.

Surprisingly, with some very kind encouragement and some tough love from Rafal and Nastia, the climbing came back easily with good friends there to support me. Of dozens of trips, this one was the "perfect" trip.

I laughed every day and in the end came home bone tired. Ever grateful for being able to just get out again.

I hope Rafal's and Nastia's pictures from our 5 days of climbing encourage others to have their own adventures!

The professional photos and any serious climbing were by Rafal.

http://www.rafalandronowski.com/

Nastia and I both wore yellow jackets...if you can't tell and actually care, just assume it is her leading in yellow.

Professors Falls

6788087798_9c74b77dd3_o.jpg

Louise Falls

The kind Dr. giving me my first lesson of the trip :)

P1040933.JPG

P2210091.JPG

Louise029.jpg

My first 5 lead. Rafal's as well. This was Nastia's turn. Nicely done too!

Louise042.jpg

Cascade Falls

P2200037.JPG

6934407873_a59b971f3f_b.jpg

Carlsberg

6788421406_32e250c0d9_b.jpg

Marble Canyon

Rafal's kind way of remiding me you have to "pay to play" with the big boys.

6934542731_8afebd4dd2_b.jpg

Snivelling Gully

6788451236_10942138ba_b.jpg

Weeping Wall

P1040960.JPG

P1040985.JPG

6934594909_a23f7568bc_b.jpg

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good to see you're out and about again!

Not only Dane is getting "out and about" but he was smoking my ass while climbing and on the approaches. Ha, and here I thought I was not in the terribly sucky shape after all :( .

"I am only 1/3 of a man now that can walk for 1/2 mile"! :)

After 4 months of excruciating chemo with still lingering side effects and 50 lbs lighter, here is the trimmed Dane Burns on Professors last week:

6788094808_d71fd41968_b.jpg

Soloing Cascade falls while I was pathetically lagging behind the boys:

6934393957_7eca525640_b.jpg

Dane on the Weeping Wall:

6934567087_263b58bd1d_b.jpg

The best chunk of ice I ever climbed:

6934603669_df681b3def_b.jpg

Looks like good times on the Parkway!! Nice TR.

'Twas good to finally meet you in person, Dane, and a pleasure to be introduced to the good Dr. N.

A few more photos on my blog: http://blog.rafalandronowski.com/?p=2911

One question, though: what the hell is going on with the rope in this picture??

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7070/6934567087_263b58bd1d_b.jpg

technical explanation? Not UIAA approved :rolleyes:

simul climbing..to a good sized ledge with little chance of falling off. One screw used as an "anchor"...single twin rope clove hitched on a third biner attached to a 2 biner Mammut screamer. That was to keep half of team on the wall so pictures and a pee could be accomplished in safely.

Obviously great picture, not sure how the pee went down ;)

Climbing twins went through single screw to help make a catch in case I tripped over my boot laces (always a distinct possibility I try to account for). Fall factor pretty high on a 60m pitch with 3 screws including this one. Rope laying on spin handle of screw.

In other words FUBAR....lesson to be learned? Don't try this at home. Make sure you don't trip on shoe laces using this specific technique. Things will likely get problematic rather quickly in real world load testing. :eek:

Side notes:

Canadian ravens at the Weeping wall are weird. Not only they know how to unzip the Cilogear packs, they find and feed on cigarettes carried inside them.

Years ago a friend and I were climbing up above Bow Lake on a bitterly cold day. Mid climb and I look down and see a Raven pulling drawcords on my pack. I hung off a tool and tried tossing some dinner plates of ice down at him to no avail. When we got back down he had half pulled out a jacket and had open and strewn a package of food everywhere. Smart little bastards.