wool hoodies and no stink synthetics?

Dane

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No-stink synthetic hoodies: Outdoor Research is on the freaking ball right now with their Radiant hybrid hoody and it's slightly beefier jacket cousin, the Centrifuge. I own both and they make a really flexible, highly technical layering system with a great fit. Full-length zippers can be an upside or downside depending on your perspective (I personally like them). I've worn both extensively between washings on some high output activities without any noticeable smell developing. Each has a well designed hood that fits easily and comfortably under a helmet, and I suspect the Centrifuge at least can be stretched over one (although I haven't tried that). Both use OR's Radiant light fleece on the side panels and underarms for superior breathability in those areas. The Radiant hybrid has a thicker version of the fleece fabric on the main body, while the Centrifuge uses a wind and moisture-shedding hardface fabric on the front, and has the light fleece fabric on the back. Brian Harder at getstrongergolonger.com turned me on to these items via one of his blog posts and I'm incredibly pleased with the results.

http://www.getstrongergolonger.com/journal/2011/11/22/zipper-modification-for-light-gear.html

[img:left]http://c632628.r28.cf2.rackcdn.com/470x500_52181_195_33.jpg[/img]

[img:left]http://c632628.r28.cf2.rackcdn.com/470x500_56125_941_28.jpg[/img]

Edited by Julian

My wife and I both have a couple of hoodies including the r1, a powerstretch and merino versions from icebreaker, stoic and io bio. The r1 is still the best though it does start to smell eventually and I've worn my fist one full of holes.

Between winter bike commuting, ski touring and climbing I feel like I end up wearing one of these most days. For my use which is often high or varied output in cold conditions the partial zipper, stretchy hood that can go over or under a helmet and thumb loops are key to being able to adjust my temperature without stoping. I also like the chest pocket as I stuff my insulin and diabetes supplies in there to keep them at a usable temperature.

I often find the r1 a bit warm to wear under a shell. I would be stoked on a slightly thinner version using a wool poly blend (maybe all polly in the hood, wrist, waste and shoulder areas which take more wear and get wet easier) but with the same fit and features but I haven't found it yet.

Good stuff, thanks guys. Any more?

Zoran...how heavy is that one. A thick outer sweater or jacket? Or can it be used as a lwt mid layer?

I know the others so far. Shak is an all time favorite. I ma trying to lower the level of stink my R1s have 24/7 even fresh out of the machine.

Anyone have laundry hints for that?

Zoran...how heavy is that one. A thick outer sweater or jacket? Or can it be used as a lwt mid layer?

It's heavy.

It is outer sweater. It's not windproof.

I am using it under the lightweight shell (something like Marmot Aegis) as heavy mid layer. Doesn't have a thumb holes but sleeves are slightly longer. Dries quickly and is very warm.

I picked up NWAlpine's Black Spider Light Hoody

http://nwalpine.com/black-spider-light-hoody

Contrary to the name, it comes in red and that's the color I got it in. The zipper is deeper than the R1 (which is better) and it zips up around the face better. I also think it is slightly lighter than the R1 (insulation wise) which honestly I prefer. It's also much cheaper at retail price than the R1. It's also from a pretty rad dude. It also hasn't started smelling yet and I haven't washed it for a few weeks.

Pretty stoked on it.

The MEC T3 is quite similar to the Pata R1, which I find is too warm and consequently too sweaty for most stuff locally until it's about -25C out.

I see MEC is now making a T2 hoody as well. Thinner and thus might be better.

They have a thin merino hoody as well. Haven't worn it though.

I've had the MEC Thermal Hoody for about 4 years. Thinner,less warm and less sweaty than the T3, but very stretchy (high Lycra content) and has thumb holes. I like it a lot. Cut long enough to fit under a harness, which I think is a problem with the T3. They tweaked it this year. The new model is called the Thermal Vertex Hoodie and it's really hard to find on the website except with a keyword search

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/MensClothing/OutdoorAthletic/TShirtsSleeveless/PRD~5022-978/mec-thermal-vertex-hoodie-mens.jsp

Edited by G-spotter

@Dane, synthetic stink: when you wash, try putting some oxyclean in and run a pre-soak.

+1. any kind of oxygen-based detergent is the way to go with synthetics. I wash A LOT of lycra. :/

"SportWash" works really well, too, but I think it's basically glorified oxyclean.

Edited by rob

Rab sponsored athlete Nils Nielsen has this to say on the new Boreas:

“The last month I’ve been in the French and Swiss Alpes climbing and guiding. Almost every day I’ve been wearing the new Boreas top... The Boreas is a thin pull-on with a hood, it breathes well, but is still quite windproof. And the hood is super good when it’s windy. The stretchy fabric makes it fit good both with and without a helmet. And the small chest pocket also works well as a stuff pocket and is easily clipped to the harness on warm pitches in the sun.”

My Boreas easily stretches over my Meteor III helmet, yet sucks down to fit without a helmet. I can wear it as my only hoody in mild conditions, or wear a Smartwool mid-weight hoody (no-stink merino) under or over, and / or, wear an R1 Hoody over or under.

“The Boreas Pull-on is a lightweight stretch pull-on designed to offer protection from the sun and the elements when in the mountains. It has been designed to offer fantastic sun protection when climbing or traveling in mountainous areas. The fabric does also offer some wind resistance but this does not compromise breathability and makes the Boreas a fantastic mid layer for both warm and cold conditions. The Rab Boreas was recently awarded a coveted Backpacking Magazine Editor's Choice Award. Weight: 300g / 11 oz. .

An unexpected good find was the REI Airflyte Hoody. Lighter weight than the R1 - which as someone else pointed out can often be too warm. Fit is great with a ton of stretch, nice under-helmet hood and thumb loops.

Can't speak to the long term stench resistance but I'm pleased so far.