Reslinging cams - In the US

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if metolious, send to metolious and they will do a very good overhaul/cleaning/inspection in addition to resling for a reasonable price.

If BD, send it to them but do it as a large lot. they charged $5 for return shipping regardless of amount of cams. Plus they do it the fancy way when it is new, not just a loop.

those are the only ones I have used. I know yates does reslings of any cam that is newer than 10 years or so.

Gene gives great advice. Add Fish Products to the list as well, but don't be in a hurry. If it's a Metolius cam Pat, go to Metolius, they will fix that (those?) thing(?) up so it looks new. Great work, dirt cheap.

http://www.fishproducts.com/catalog/productlinefs.html

Repairs & so forth section...

FRIEND/SLCD SLINGS:

Here's how to do it: Send us your webbing choice, 11" long and prethreaded into your Friends, and we'll lay nine bartacks into it. 1", 11/16" or 5/8" nylon webbing only. $2.50 ea. If you want us to supply the webbing, we can do that in usually some random colors. If we supply the webbing the cost is $3.50 ea.

FLAT RATE UNINSURED SHIPPING ON CAMS IS $10.00 PER SHIPMENT.

• 1 year later...
Going off on a tangent:

I like how DMM and Trango have extendable slings. Do any of you know if extendable slings can be sewn onto my BD camalots without raising some obscure safety issue?

Great explanation here of why BD doesn't use extendable slings. In a nutshell they found it fails at lower loads and may mangle the thumb loop on big whippers.

• 2 weeks later...
Out of curiosity, is there a safety reason one wouldn't just tie a piece of appropriate cord with a double fisherman's, instead of having new tape sewn in? Or is it just aesthetics?

Any sling or cord loses strength with a knot. I think it's up to like 40% or something. So you can go with a larger sling/cord to accommodate. Some items like Big Bros come without the cord and you have to add it.

So bulk and weight are the drawbacks with tying knots.

Great explanation here of why BD doesn't use extendable slings. In a nutshell they found it fails at lower loads and may mangle the thumb loop on big whippers.

I can see some possible sling strength loss but the DMM thumb loop is bomber.

Ahh, I see now, yeah. I should've watched that video before asking -- cord would tweak the thumb loop way worse than skinny webbing. Huh. That answers my question perfectly.