Dragontail Peak: Triple Couloir

Kerr Adams

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 miles of road hiking or road skiing is not much extra effort if you are up for Dragontail. Don't worry about needing a snowmobile (I've done it with and without and I'd say the effort to haul a snow machine over there when, in Spring, the road is easily walkable or skinable, is of dubious utility even if you already have a sled and trailer).

To be clear--it's an additional 4 miles each way and in the last 10 years I can't remember one when the road was open to the trailhead in March. The approach to the trailhead takes about 1.5 hours from the car (then an additional 5 miles and about 2000' to the lake), while the descent is just over an hour from the trailhead back to the car.

some folks do it in a day...but if it's your first time into the Colchuck Lake area, you should go in the night before, scope the approach and route, bivy, and climb the next day before hiking out.

FWIW, that extra few miles to the Colchuck Lake TH is one of the easiest of the bonus-snow-covered-road approach additions in the Cascades, so don't let it dissuade you from your climb.

I'd agree with Kurt, if you have the time, it's worth doing the approach the day before and spending a nice night at the end of the lake where you can relax and rest up for your climb. It's a very pretty area so certainly a worthwhile place to camp out, take some pictures and enjoy some down time. If you get there early enough you may even find some ice around the lake to play around on.

The road wont be open. The FS leaves it closed until the road dries out completely - eg snow melts off - so that the potholes dont get worse and the yahoos don't get high-centered up there, as there are generally very few turnaround spots.

I did the route hiking from the gate back in ...I hesitate....1997? We tried it once in March and didnt even get to the Lake. We came back first weekend of May and it was casual. Both times as an overnight, but we saw folks on the route in May who were going car-to-car in a day, and it was really fine and fun either strategy you choose, the road is only a plod on the way back down when you are tired, but by then you've sent a great alpine route and the suffering will be ok.

But if you try to go in a day car-to-car, in order to get on the route at daybreak you'll likely be leaving at or before midnight, and chances are you'll not get lost only if you have a trail already blazed to Colchuck Lake, or you've done it alot before.

Went in there last January, first time into the area for both myself and my partner, started at 12am and had no problems finding the lake...we made it back to the car around 11pm that night, the slog out on the road was a soul-crusher though! So yes, a car-to-car first time is very doable (though camping at Colchuck Lake would be a great way to spend a day!)

The road wont be open. The FS leaves it closed until the road dries out completely - eg snow melts off - so that the potholes dont get worse and the yahoos don't get high-centered up there, as there are generally very few turnaround spots.

For the last few years, the FS has been opening the gate when the road is at least melted out around the 3 mile mark, around the 8 Mile Trailhead, so that helps move the spring climbing/skiing season along for the area...