Ueli Steck's parka, an advance?

NotMessner

Is this an advance in parka design and construction?

MH Nilas parka (the Ueli Steck design), $500.00:

- 850 fill down.

- 15 denier AirShield.

- Weight: 22 oz

MontBell Frost Line parka, $235.00:

- 800 fill power goose down

- 30-denier Ballistic rip-stop nylon shell

- 30-denier Ballistic nylon taffeta lining

- Weight 24.3 oz

- Fill Weight 6.7 oz.

MontBell Frost Smoke parka, $199.00

- 800 fill power goose down

- 15-denier Ballistic Airlight nylon shell & lining

- 40-denier nylon taffeta for reinforcements

- Weight 12.6 oz. (Size M)

- Fill Weight 3.5 oz.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, why ask? it is only marketings buzz speak and a name

if it packed down the size of a nano puff hoody and was warm as EB 1st ascent Peak VX then sure.

additionally I would almost guarantee even if you order a mens small it will weigh a few more ounces than 22, almost everyone but ultra-light sticklers (mont-bell) fudge the numbers a bit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I picked up a MontBell Permafrost this winter for sub-zero days after the zipper on my much-loved WT Belay Parka blew out. So far it's been more than adequate. It'll be overkill for warmer temps.

The Nilas looks pretty nice and can be picked up online cheap this time of year. At full retail it looks like a rip-off. As in it looks nice but at $200 more than the competitors not worth it.

I was very impressed with the design and fit of the OR Incandescent Hoody, but was a little worried that the insulation would be a big light for what I wanted. Might be worth a look for certain users, but for maritime climates in that jacket's temperature range synthetic wins, IMO.

I picked up the Nilas in December when Backcountry had it on sale after Black Friday. Just a few thoughts :

I'm 5'10" 168 pounds and got the medium. It fits well, but the hood is terrible! I thought maybe a large would be better, but after trying it on, the large was way, way too big. I can't believe the size difference!

Back to the hood - For waterfall / slide climbing, I wear a Cap 2, and R1 Hoody and an Gamma MX Hoody. When wearing my "action suit," I can't zip the Nilas all the way up, even with the hood off. It's next near impossible to get the hood over my layers and my BD Vector helmet. Very disappointed to say the least. Glad I didn't pay full retail!!

The coldest I've worn the Nilas is 5F with nasty windchill values. It was warm and did the job. I feel like it should be warmer though. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I don't get cold easy, either.

When Backcountry get a Neutrino Plus or whatever Fall 2013 brings, I'm definitely going to exchange the Nilas.

Oh yeah, I got the men's medium in orange and the color rocks! Mountain Hardwear nailed the color!

I picked up one off of SAC for about $200 a few months back. I needed something of this weight, and it fit the warmth, weight, and cost bill pretty well.

Might not be the be all end all down jacket, but I'm happy with it. The mesh stash pockets are pretty great, and I haven't had a problem throwing it on over layers. I'm 5'9", 175 and the M fits well even with my full "holy shit cold" layers (base, NWA hoody, Atom LT, Atom SV). Hood and hem draw string isn't that great, but works well enough for me. The cuffs are the best I've felt on any jacket on the market. Most importantly though, it keeps my sweaty ass warm and drys me out when I stop moving.

Would I buy it for full retail? Nope; but then again I have a hard time paying full retail for any of these super expensive pieces (unless they're really, really worth it). I think it's a good "belay weight" piece though, and while not ground breaking, worth it if you can find it on sale or pro-deal one.