Moving to Washington, HELP!

Austin88

Hey guys, I live in St. Louis Missouri right now. I am wanting to move to Washington so I can climb. I have no connections out there and need help. I really would only have about 3-400 bucks a month to spare for rent but need a place to live. I was thinking somewhere around Seattle, but I have also been told Leavenworth is a great place to live for climbers. So does anybody need a room mate or know of someone who would? I'm all ears on places to live. I'm looking to move first week of June but I could always split a month or so sooner. I need a job as well, anything really haha. I have a BA in Physical Education, but would not be certified in the state of Washington and jobs for P.E. suck right now anyways. Just thought that might help in getting another job. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like you are going to be limited to living where you can find a job. Leavenworth would be a cool place to live, but not so many jobs. Do you mind seasonal farm labor? Seattle has more jobs, but is more exensive. Not sure what kind of job you are planning on. Can you write software? Plenty of those jobs.

Hey Austin:

Here's a suggestion (worth what you paid for it) - save some money and take an extended recon/climbing trip to Washington before uprooting yourself from your home base.

If you're a young guy with no other commitments you could very easily see all of the communities that you might have an interest in living in first hand, climb all over the state, and make lots of connections with other climbers over the course of a summer, and find yourself in a much better position when and if you actually decide to make the move.

Better yet - since it sounds like you're poised to go into teaching, you can get established as a PE teacher and literally live anywhere in the country *and* spend an entire season out here without having to worry about where your next meal is going to come from. When and if you decided to make the move to Washington, you'll be in a much better position in virtually every way.

Best of luck,

I think he's referring to migrant labor. I've been told that it's surprisingly hard to pick apples fast enough to make much money. Some of those guys are impressively quick. Hard physical work all day every day, and you better speak Spanish. Most of the summer work around Leavenworth involves the rafting, hotels, or the forest service.

Dannible is correct. Seasonal labor picking fruit. Certainly not an easy way to make a buck. Another idea - look at Craigslist.org for jobs. I've been offered jobs from CL including tutoring HS science, teaching college microbiology, software dev, tecnical writing, carpentry, etc. Lots of summer camp type jobs on there right now, something that might be up your alley and be a good resume builder.

Edited by DPS

Hey guys, I live in St. Louis Missouri right now. I am wanting to move to Washington so I can climb.... I need a job as well, anything really haha...

Need a job, also eh? In Washington and Oregon, good luck with that. For the most part, I'm told they don't exist. Bring your own supply of rent/food money, about a year's worth... for while you're looking for work.

Now if you want work, move to western North Dakota (and as it happens, Amtrak runs direct from here to where you want to live in WA), where there's more work than people, but then good luck finding a place to live....

Need a job, also eh? In Washington and Oregon, good luck with that. For the most part, I'm told they don't exist.

I don't agree with that. I field about one job offer a week. I've had to tell some recruiters to stop calling me. Heck, I took my car to have the emissions inspected and was offered a job. I think if you have a few different skill sets you should be ok.

Well from looking around on Craig's List it looks like I would be able to get a job as a Personal Trainer. It's related to my field where I majored, and all I would need to do is pass a test for a few hundred bucks. Pay is well enough to live off of, and I would be able to stay in excellent shape. Would that profession be compatible for climbing? I'm thinking I would get enough time off to go climbing every week or every other week during the summer months. You guys know any Personal Trainers who climb?

Hey Austin, so are you set on moving to Washington? I can totally understand though, and I'm making the move to Wenatchee or Leavenworth there this spring too. I'm kind of a gypsy.

So, just curious, why did you not decide on Boulder, Colorado Springs, Moab, Flagstaff? Maybe, if things don't pan out for Lworth this year, you can find a job in your field in one of those other locales, then move in Leavenworth in the winter when the lodges are hiring? Just a thought....

Anyway, happy travels! "Once you make a decision, the universe conspires to make it happen!" Life is a magical adventure. :wave: