Gearheads: 90+ liter packs for 2-3 week excursions

Brendan P

Geneipires, Lets see, we can't ask questions about ice screws and we can't ask questions about 90 liter packs. wow, are you like the newbie section dick tater? The man just wants answers to questions he is unfamiliar with, Large Packs, get it ? The subject is NEW, to HIM. hence Newbie Section....

I have an Arcteryx Bora 80 that is about 86 liters expanded give or take a little. weighs about 4 pounds. Great pack for hauling as it is one of the most adjustable packs I have seen or used and it's pretty comfortable to carry with alot of weight in it.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geneipires, Lets see, we can't ask questions about ice screws and we can't ask questions about 90 liter packs. wow, are you like the newbie section dick tater? The man just wants answers to questions he is unfamiliar with, Large Packs, get it ? The subject is NEW, to HIM. hence Newbie Section....

ice screws? where does that come from?

So by your logic, the gear forum is for people who are not new to the gear and therefore should know everything about the gear before asking questions?

Bistro, you are kinda snarky too.

Ending now before this turns to spray. Good day!

My apologies I was mistaken, when I was asking about ice screws for possible self recue while hypothetically traveling solo across a glacier, you said "To be honest, questions of soloing glaciers should never be on the Newbies forum" Hence my statment about ice screws. Where should they be asked? As for gear questions, why can't they be asked in the Newbies forum? And may I ask, where is the Gear forum? I see Gear Critic and Gear shops but alas no gear forum. So at the risk of being "Kinda Snarky Too" maybe you need to be a little more humble. Some of us don't have the same knowlege as you and that if we ask questions in the wrong forum, WHO CARES?? At least we're asking questions and by that act saving perhaps not only our own lives but that of others. Thank you very much for your time. Good Day!!

Edited by bistro

gear critic = gear forum You are obviously missing the point of the previous conversation. I didn't criticize anyone for asking about backpacks in newbie forum. I was explaining why people where giving this guy advice about his possible poor gear choice instead of his desired original question. Posting in newbie assumes that the poster is a newbie and therefore people where trying to help out the newbie. He comes back with all the attitude about him not being a newbie and not wanting this kind of advice. Free yourself from your emotions, read it all again and you will see.

Not sure why you are jumping my shite so much. I spent good time writing responses for you and I thought I gave you good advice on that topic.

excuse me if I have an opinion about newbies soloing glaciers. I guess I am not allowed to speak at the risk of offending one in a million. If I am out of line, feel free to complain to a moderator and have me removed from here.

Edited by genepires

I wore an old Bora 95 for a week long trip last summer. Despite the fact that I hadn't used it for about 6 years it wasn't an enormous suckfest. I don't think there is really any difference between a 75L and a 95L in terms of how comfortable they are. Basically I have a 60L pack and a 95L and if I have a bit too much stuff to carry in the 60 I default to the 95.

The best thing of all is that I got that old Bora 95 used 12 years ago for $25 bucks.

342280.jpg

If I was going to buy a new large pack today I wouldn't buy a 95L that's for sure. I'd buy a 75L or 80L and pack to fit it.

I agree that 90L is a pretty crushing load...

For long (6+ days) trips I have used this pack for 7+ years and love it: http://ca.gregorypacks.com/products/view/24

Size large is 75L. If you can find it used somewhere it is a really, really good pack- too bad they don't make it anymore. Why do companies mess with success?

I have found that the Makalu Pro carries more than enough to get you way out into the middle of nowhere, even on a climbing trip.

I agree that 90L is a pretty crushing load...

It doesn't have to be. A lot of the time if I take a 95L pack out rather than a 60L it's because I have high-bulk, low-density items. In the case of the week-long trip mentioned above I knew it was just going to be hiking with no climbing so I took sausage, polenta, lots of fresh veggies and stuff, all of which add lots of volume. Easily 40L of my 95L pack was just my food bag.