Tweaked wrist from ice tools?

keenwesh

I picked up a set of new nomics couple weeks back and have been doing deadhangs, lockoffs, staggered pullups and other shit like that off the fire sprinkler in my room. Maybe 5-10 minutes total exercise time a evening before I crash out for bed. I did this up till last saturday, Sunday ran up to hyalite and climbed (actually more like hanged) my way up a M7 and then after bashing myself in the face a few times with a hammer headed over for a quick lap on elevator shaft, which currently is totally picked out and beaten to shit, so basically just hooked my way up it. went back home, passed out, and woke up monday morning with a screwy left wrist.

I haven't done any pullups since, been sporadically popping vitamin I, and taking fish pills religiously.

The wrist is gradually getting better, I'm climbing 3 days this weekend. If it starts to flame up again I'll just go snowshoeing instead, or stick to the easy stuff. Any docs out there though who know what this could be? rotating the wrist caused a semi sharp pain, I can do pushups if I do them on my fists. The pain is focused on the posterior side of my wrist around the scaphoid and trapezium, and in between the pisiform and hamate. doesn't look or feel swollen.

it's puzzling to me because if I overworked it doing pullups I think it wouldn't have flamed up 36 hours after the fact, and a pitch and a half of lightly hanging off tools (didn't really swing much on the ice, hooks) seems like it's just not enough to stress out that area.

I haven't been tuggin' the turkey, just in case some smartass chimes in with that.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a set of new nomics couple weeks back and have been doing deadhangs, lockoffs, staggered pullups and other shit like that off the fire sprinkler in my room.

How big is that "sprinkler"?

Them thing's ain't engineered to take that kinda load in that direction I don't think.

Hope ur dick beater feels better.

That sucks.

I picked up a set of new nomics couple weeks back and have been doing deadhangs, lockoffs, staggered pullups and other shit like that off the fire sprinkler in my room.

How big is that "sprinkler"?

Them thing's ain't engineered to take that kinda load in that direction I don't think.

Hope ur dick beater feels better.

That sucks.

yeah they aren't, there's a bolt sunk into the ceiling. I did some tests and found that it's plenty strong to hold body weight. been holding my fat ass for the last 4 months. If it does give out I'm totally fucked, like flooded room and every other room below me. They'd probably kick me out, hasn't happened yet though so I'm good.

the bolt is a half incher, bomber.

second the opinion that doing pullups off a fire sprinkler is a very very bad idea. Not only would you break the pipe causing a flooding situation on the floor but it would automatically initiate a call to the fire department and set off the fire alarm which would make your floormates unhappy.

no clue on your injury though. Hope it gets better soon.

]

yeah they aren't, there's a bolt sunk into the ceiling. I did some tests and found that it's plenty strong to hold body weight. been holding my fat ass for the last 4 months. If it does give out I'm totally fucked, like flooded room and every other room below me. They'd probably kick me out, hasn't happened yet though so I'm good.

the bolt is a half incher, bomber.

Having been in construction now for about 6 years, I have met many different guys doing stuff like the fire sprinkler you are hanging from. I wouldn't give that much trust to anything any construction monkey does. Phffft a half inch bolt can be crappy.

Let me tell you from experience those sprinkler pipes are not to be trusted. I know this from a shenanigan with my GF in college (it was only her weight at the time of failure, but in a another few seconds, I would have "joined" her). What a mess! But it turned us in to campus legends for awhile.

Let me tell you from experience those sprinkler pipes are not to be trusted. I know this from a shenanigan with my GF in college (it was only her weight at the time of failure, but in a another few seconds, I would have "joined" her). What a mess! But it turned us in to campus legends for awhile.

I have yet to set the sex swing up in my room, but if it'll make me a legend I might have to put it up. A LEGEND

• 2 weeks later...
Any docs out there though who know what this could be? rotating the wrist caused a semi sharp pain, I can do pushups if I do them on my fists. The pain is focused on the posterior side of my wrist around the scaphoid and trapezium, and in between the pisiform and hamate. doesn't look or feel swollen.

Given your description it's hard to say but you should consider a posterior lunate. I've seen a bunch and treated a bunch and they have been described in similar terms. If you follow the 3rd MC to its base and can reproduce your pain by pressing on the lunate while flexing/extending your wrist it's a good bet... Any good ortho/chiro/DO should be able to detect and remedy that. As you mention, it doesn't act like a typical lig. sprain though that's the first thing I would have wanted to rule out. Of course all the liability disclaimers apply - this should not be construed as advice, seek the help of a medical professional, blah, blah. Good luck!

"have been doing deadhangs, lockoffs, staggered pullups and other shit like that off the fire sprinkler in my room. Maybe 5-10 minutes total exercise time a evening before I crash out for bed." Daily light, low-intesity workout. Possibly for a couple of weeks w/o rest on non-ergonomic pull-up bar.

"I did this up till last saturday," Sole rest day.

"Sunday ran up to hyalite and climbed (actually more like hanged) my way up a M7 and then after bashing myself in the face a few times with a hammer headed over for a quick lap on elevator shaft, which currently is totally picked out and beaten to shit, so basically just hooked my way up it. went back home, passed out, and woke up monday morning with a screwy left wrist.

I haven't done any pullups since, been sporadically popping vitamin I, and taking fish pills religiously." Another day of low-intesity (higher volume?) workout also on non-ergonomic pull-up bars. (aka ice tools)

I'm no doc, but it sure sounds like an overuse injury. Especially when you factor in lots of pulling while gripping something in a way that your hand wasn't really designed to grip. I could be wrong, but my understanding was that the 'perfect pull up' hand orientation for us humans was with our palms facing outward at initiation and rotating inward at the apex of the pull-up all while gripping a horizontal element.

While I've never done it, doing a done of training from ice tools or ice tool-like grips has never made much sense to me for that reason. (do you really gain that much over training on a horizontal grip?)

dont fuck around with sprinklers. ask alpinemonkey. his brothers roommate broke the sprinker in their dorm room causing something on the order of $40 grand worth of damage due to flooding the floors below. those things spit out a lot of water really quickly and can only be turned off by the fire department.