Little Si Plane Crash

ScottP

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Local Fire was dispatched to a "possible" plane crash, they didn't know what they had at first. Neighbors had heard and seen something hit the mtn. King County PD saw it to which made it more credible. I heard the guys from station 87 had to hike up there to look for it, long hike for dudes in fire gear or a firefighter in general. SMR made it to the scene and removed 3 bodies. They carried out one and flew out the other two. Area is still closed to the public last I heard. I was in a hurry so my details were givin to me in passing, I'm sure we'll hear more later.

It sounds like the plane just missed little Si and hit the rock wall on the side of Si. Random and very Sad.

The flight was an apparently unauthorized, no flight plan 2:00am joy-jaunt.

I would bet that alcohol played a part. Too many similarities to DUI crashes

You are not required to file a flight plan for a VFR flight. Curious what similarities you see between that and a DUI crash? Because I see none other than maybe the fact it was late a night. Night flying can be extremely pleasant, if I was willing and able, I would not hesitate to take a 2am flight, it's no safer than a 7pm (in the dark) flight, in fact probably safer due to zero traffic. Probably a little too early to speculate there num1mc. You a pilot? My condolences to those lost in the crash.

You are not required to file a flight plan for a VFR flight. Curious what similarities you see between that and a DUI crash? Because I see none other than maybe the fact it was late a night. Night flying can be extremely pleasant, if I was willing and able, I would not hesitate to take a 2am flight, it's no safer than a 7pm (in the dark) flight, in fact probably safer due to zero traffic. Probably a little too early to speculate there num1mc. You a pilot? My condolences to those lost in the crash.

This crash is tragic and i feel terrible for the friends and family of those involved.

A lot of conjecture by n1. The owner of the FBO/Flight School that the aircraft was registered to said that he was not aware of the flight but this does not necessarily mean that the flight is unauthorized. Often at FBOs flight instructors or staff at the front desk are able to dispatch an aircraft if they follow the steps that the company has in place.

From the information available to us from the media, this flight was completely legal in the eyes of the FAA as well. There are a number of requirements to be able to legally go on a flight and these include currency requirements (landings at night for example). There is no information to lead us to believe that the pilot in command (the flight instructor employed at this FBO) was acting illegally.

Many of the services provided by the FAA (Flight Plan filing, Radar Flight Following) are opt in services, especially while in what is called Class G Airspace (Uncontrolled Airspace). There is a completely different story while in say SeaTac airspace (Class B) where flight following and tower communication are mandatory. Flight plans must be filed by all airlines, anyone operating under IFR, and anyone going in or out of the country.

The alcohol statement, while possible, is again just a guess. as pilots we have much more stringent requirements about alcohol before flight as compared to drivers. As a pilot, you may not operate an aircraft in any manner with over .04% bac -AND- you may not have had alcohol (technically listerine touching your lips counts as well) within the previous 8 hours. This is something that many pilots are very observant of for obvious reasons and serious consequences.

while I'm not saying that you are flat out wrong, i am saying that it is a good idea to not spray off opinion as fact. If you are curious about the reasons for this accident the NTSB will likely have a preliminary accident report within the next couple weeks on its Aviation Accident Database.

• 1 year later...

This crash is tragic and i feel terrible for the friends and family of those involved.

A lot of conjecture by n1. The owner of the FBO/Flight School that the aircraft was registered to said that he was not aware of the flight but this does not necessarily mean that the flight is unauthorized. Often at FBOs flight instructors or staff at the front desk are able to dispatch an aircraft if they follow the steps that the company has in place.

From the information available to us from the media, this flight was completely legal in the eyes of the FAA as well. There are a number of requirements to be able to legally go on a flight and these include currency requirements (landings at night for example). There is no information to lead us to believe that the pilot in command (the flight instructor employed at this FBO) was acting illegally.

Many of the services provided by the FAA (Flight Plan filing, Radar Flight Following) are opt in services, especially while in what is called Class G Airspace (Uncontrolled Airspace). There is a completely different story while in say SeaTac airspace (Class B) where flight following and tower communication are mandatory. Flight plans must be filed by all airlines, anyone operating under IFR, and anyone going in or out of the country.

The alcohol statement, while possible, is again just a guess. as pilots we have much more stringent requirements about alcohol before flight as compared to drivers. As a pilot, you may not operate an aircraft in any manner with over .04% bac -AND- you may not have had alcohol (technically listerine touching your lips counts as well) within the previous 8 hours. This is something that many pilots are very observant of for obvious reasons and serious consequences.

while I'm not saying that you are flat out wrong, i am saying that it is a good idea to not spray off opinion as fact. If you are curious about the reasons for this accident the NTSB will likely have a preliminary accident report within the next couple weeks on its Aviation Accident Database.

Looks like I was right:

http://www.kirotv.com/ap/ap/transportation/ntsb-pilot-intoxicated-in-fatal-wash-plane-crash/nWhnn/

The pilot was wasted