Gay Weed Update

tvashtarkatena

I502's getting a hearing tomorrow in Olympia. RIGHT NOW, as in, RIGHT FUCKING NOW, would be a great time to drop your states reps a friendly email in support: Write the bastids!

My anecdotal information indicates that WA voters may well pass it this November(the legislature won't). The first thing I do with audiences is present the basics of I502 without comment, break them up into groups, give them 10 minutes to discuss, then 1 minute to present their group's 'yay or nay' position. So far, every audience (now totaling several hundred folks) has overwhelmingly voted in favor. These groups have been all over WA, too, including some pretty conservative areas.

It's only after this exercise that I present my arguments in favor.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The DUI provision hangs up a lot of people. A large percentage of the population focuses more on why something can't be done rather than just doing it and tweaking it later.

Basic AHM nature.

What I tell audience members who attempt to go down that rat hole?

Explain your concerns to the 600,000 folks who are currently rotting in jail just for weed. I'm sure they'll understand.

People expect from others the kind of Day One Perfection they've never, ever delivered themselves.

Leave the DUI provision out and they'd just complain about that.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

5 out of 5 groups voted Yay at Centralia College on Wed. They're biggest hangup?

The DUI provision. One chick was like "WHO'S GONNA PAY FOR THE BLOOD TESTS!!!!?????

My answer: the $215 million annually off our state deficit might just cover that...and they do the blood tests now, anyway, so there really won't be much change there.

Jesus...don't give 'em probable cause and you won't get pulled over.

Not hard.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

5 out of 5 groups voted Yay at Centralia College on Wed. They're biggest hangup?

The DUI provision. One chick was like "WHO'S GONNA PAY FOR THE BLOOD TESTS!!!!?????

My answer: the $215 million annually off our state deficit might just cover that...and they do the blood tests now, anyway, so there really won't be much change there.

Jesus...don't give 'em probable cause and you won't get pulled over.

Not hard.

You can take it out of the tens of thousands of dollars that it costs to incarcerate the pot smokers currently in the clink...

Estimated annual savings cut in law enforcement jobs for WA = 20 M.

Est. taxes from pot (no tie dye accessories) = 195 M.

215 M a year.

That's salary+bennies for 6000 teachers.

Fixed it fer ya.

Too bad the man won't want to give up all those jobs/revenue that comes with incarcerating all the pot heads. Seems like the biggest drawbacks to legalizing is the resistance of all the people benefiting/making careers out of "criminals". Jails, courts, local law enforcement coffers, etc. Not to mention the illegal growers that want to keep it that way. Yes, I would much rather see our tax dollars going toward education and other services rather than funding the cash cow that is "the war on drugs". We'll see.

It's a simple matter of 'let's do this'. Last time I checked, voters outnumber people in the criminal justice system who support the jobs program that is prohibition (not all do, BTW). It may be popular wisdom, but there's no solid evidence that large scale domestic 'illegal' growers (they're all illegal per federal law) are against legalization. Guess they have families n stuff to worry about, too.

I502 will most likely be on the '12 ballot. Talk to your peeps and persuade them to a) vote, period and b) vote to end one of the most failed policy in our history.

Yes, we may have to slug it out with the feds for a while before they give up. So? Wait for the feds (President Santorum!) to do the right thing...you'll need a comfy couch.

Edited by tvashtarkatena