Canadian Rockies

steelfrog

Howdy. Looking for some advice about hiking/climbing in the Canadian Rockies. I have the books (Don't Waste Your Time in CR; Scrambles in the CR)--just looking for your advice as well.

Looking for relative solitude, great scenery, some scrambles. 10 days in mid-late August.

I've tentatively decided on 5 days in Yoho, but could be talked out of that. What else?

Also, where to fish?

Many thanks!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

can't pass through the rockies without a stop in the bugaboos. You can find something for your skill level there. If nothing else, go up and tromp around the glacier and see the stuff.

The standard route is mt temple is a worthy day.

Maybe not well known but I thought that the hike in around castle mtn (mt eisenhower) is very good. I bet you could summit it from the highest lake somehow too.

This list could get very long very quick.

you looking for just 4th class ground?

Not necessarily. 4th and below.

Flying into Calgary I guess. I kinda want to choose 2 or no more than 3 areas and spend several days in each of the 3. Example, I have been told Banff is waay crowded, and stay away. So, I was kinda looking for, in addition to Yoho (O'Hara). something in Mt. Assiniboine Provincial Park or Mt. Robson; or, Akamina-Kishinena Prov Park, etc.

I'd love to hear all ideas you have, then I will research them further.

banff is crowded but realize that the farther you hike in, the less people there. The town is a zoo. But hike in 2 hours and you will be alone. People are lazy.

I don't have any experience with yoho, assiniboine, robson or the other place.

Been a long time ago but I think the standard route up edith cavelle was 4th and very good. That is up by Jasper.

Really, go into the bugaboos and go up something to get a great view of things. I have also gone up w ridge of pigeon spire many times. It is rated 5.4 but it feels much easier. (with rock shoes) There are optical illusions that make it look hard till you get to it. It is so Classic and a must do. Really, go do that. Stay in a hut. quite the experience.

Again, do temple standard route.

Beware of 4th class in non granite rockies can mean more than it rated. It can be very loose and seem hard. There is a bit of sandbagging going on if you use the "selected canadian rockies" guidebook but I think that is mostly technical stuff. To be on the safe side, I would choose routes that get done a lot to ensure that the loose-ness is minimized.

Seeing Mt. Robson is entirely worth it. Berg Lake is a phenomenal spot. Solitude--absolutely not there! You only have 10 days, so this is out, but one year we did part of the North Boundary Trail--More of a Jasper thing than Mt. Robson but starts at the BC/AB border there just north of Berg Lake--none the less its like 160km with no exit points really so..hehe

Though my opinion with the solitude is you can find it even in the most busy of places if you're just willing not to stand where everyone else is--you can find your peace. But then again some people's idea of solitude is not seeing anyone/barely anyone at all.

moose pass/valley. loops back around north then east of robson beyond aldophus lake. but, it isn't maintained so great, much like the north boundary trail it is more intended for horse packing. I think there are some bear lines in a spot or two. could be a good time but i spoke with a handful of folks about it prior to my trip and it sounded like a lot of brush and river bars and multiple fords.

that said feck is entirely correct. When we did a portion of the NBT we only saw two berg-lake campers squating at the adolphus camp spot (stupidly with their tent under the bear-bag hang pole between two trees.) and then 2 guys from ontario a few days later who hike the trail every few years. If you were adventurous there is all sorts of exploration to be had there. I would love to go back and have 2 weeks..

Meh. I ran the Rockwall Trail last fall - it was OK. Lot of up and down. The Jasper Skyline Trail is much better, imo - 25km of continuous high alpine ridge. A great trail run, and a decent hike (the campsites are located at the lower points of the trail). I agree with Feck, tho - for hiking, Tonquin is great. Probably more interesting as a multi-day hike that Skyline or Rockwall. The area behind Castle Towers - not sure what it is called - also seems cool. Eisenhower is all 5th class for sure. I think Castle Towers too.

If you want to minimize driving around, then spending your time in O'Hara is your best option. Book your site and the shuttle now and you are set. Lots of amazing options from cool valley boottoms to high ridges to high peaks.