What would you like to see most in a climbing gym?

ontheedge

What would you like to see most in a climbing gym?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see most in a climbing gym?

Seriously, buy a membership and suck it up. If you're a real gym climber, the membership is what you'd have anyway.

P.S. I agree with you Denalidevo.

I never said I was a real gym climber, It wouldnt make sense to get an annual pass because many of us wont go once the weather is good. I was told I cant transfer my 10 punch card from gym to gym. I still go every other weekend, but after you add gasoline to the mix...ouch! It seemed like it was $12 just a couple of years ago. I think all the kid classes and other ideas are good. How about lowering the price for my three yr. old to climb though. I mean she'll probably do two laps and then want to play with her legos and I have to fork out $12-$14? Bla Bla Bla bitch bitch bitch whine whine whine. Alright, Im heading to the gym now :)

BTW VW seattle did an amazing job on the new place.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ontheedge, what I would like to see more of are cracks. Cracks that are fairly continuous. Not a finger crack that turns into a flared off-width then to a hand-crack. For practice (which is what a gym is all about, right?) there should several hand-cracks, each at a different (but constant) angle. Then a fist crack, finger crack, off-witdth, and a chimney. Lastly, I'd like to see a roof crack. This is something I've not seen in a gym. It would probably be a draw but would probably need to be in a bouldering area.

The only 'frivolous' thing I'd like to have at a climbing gym is a sauna.

Chad

The only way for a crack training area to be worthwhile would be if the angle and size of the cracks were adjustable. Otherwise it would be too specific to actually make you better at crack climbing. Unless you were a beginner, I guess.

Cracks are so much more fun to climb outside though. I don't really understand why people want to train on them inside.

Good crack climbs. Not the typical nasty ones you find at a gym.

No need to go any further than Crillz post. I 100% agree.

This stuff below (except for the kids play area) is all bullshit and unneeded.

* A kids' play area (not a bad idea actually)

A juice bar

Beer

A sauna

Indoor deep water soloing

I can get beer at home, DWS is overrated and all those people lining up for those routes will be getting the rocks super wet.

All that is needed is cracks, real ones, varied and long....not the kind Dave alludes too:-) LONG!!!!! So you can get some cardio going. This area is supersaturated with gyms, and all of them are damned good. PRG, Stoneworks and Circuit all great. BUT, none have the crack thing going on. Club Sport has 3 cracks but they are strange and few people seem to get on them. I think PRG might have put some in I haven't been there for a long time.

Make the F**King things adjustable in steepness so that when some 10 year old pup who's climbing 5.13 gets on it he can adjust it real steep and overhanging but then an old weak pussy like myself gets on it I can ratchet it back to something that resembles Glacier Point Apron. You know what I mean. And different sizes too, with constrictions that mimic real rock. The Mazamas clubhouse in PDX has that almost going on on their wall.

Apparently the cracks at PRG are getting a revamping in the next couple of months, during their addition (link)

I doubt it will include the suggestions people have made here, but maybe it will be an improvement?

Edited by KyleJ