Denali 2012 (June 7th - July 2nd)

SummitTurtle

Hi all, we are climbing the Denali West Buttress Route from 06/07/2012 -07/02/2012 and are looking for team members to join us.

If you are interested and believe you have the proper skill level for a 3-4 week expedition style climb on a big mt in extreme conditions please let me know and I can fill you in with more details, e.g. expected costs, equipment, accommodations route info etc. You also may wish to review the Denali Park Climbing Booklet, see link - recommended: http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/booklet.htm.'>http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/booklet.htm.

-Also please note that Denali National Park emphasizes team self-reliance, albeit they do have a manned ranger station and volunteer doctor at “14K camp” and weather permitting a ranger at “17K camp,” but each team is expected to be completely self-supporting.

Skill Level Needed: Very strong physical condition, good mountaineering skills, team player and preferably some time on big mountains.

Main Difficulties: Altitude, time on the mountain (3 weeks plus or minus); physical strength, weather can be nasty, extreme cold.

Route: West Buttress

Itinerary: The key to success is weather and acclimatization. If we allow ourselves proper time on the mountain we should be able to summit and get safely down. If we complete sooner we can spend extra days in Talkeetna,Anchorage or get early flights back.

Necessary Gear: Please see the Denali Park Climbing link above – or your welcome to email me with any personal gear questions. Once we have a list of who is going we will access group gear, e.g. ropes, anchors, tents, beacons, stoves, posh, food etc. Count on carrying a 50lb backpack and pulling a heavy sled. (Sleds are already provided for us by Talkeetna Air)

Here are some basics re the costs/travel details etc.:

$470.00 (Apx): Fly Seattle to Anchorage: This is up to you – meet 06/07/12 at Anchorage Airport by Carousel 1 @ 2:00 PM (meet time may change but the date is the same so it is okay to book your flight)

$160.00: Bus Anchorage To Talkeetna: $160 R/T (for parties of 4 or more) – or meet us in Talkeetna

$45.00: Accommodations In Talkeetna: We get one free night each way at the Talkeetna Air Bunkhouse – it comes with the flight, however for days before/after recommend Talkeetna Motel @ $45 per night, split– 2 beds.

$525.00: Fly Talkeetna to Denali Base camp: Talkeetna Air - $525.00 per person – I have already locked in this lower price reserving early. (125 lbs. per climber)

$350.00: Per person special use fee per climber ($250 for climbers age 24 and under), in addition to the $10 park entrance fee.

TTL before Anchorage Flight and Gear: $1,080.00

We already have reservations for the team with Talkeetna Air and have informed the rangers of our team, arrival and will get our 'team permit’ once you have been approved –you will know this in advance since you will be submitting your application 60 days or more prior to the trip date. (The rangers just want to ensure that you are safe and capable to climb the mt in its’ extremes and that you are not professionally guiding: “...All climbers attempting Mt. McKinley (20,320 feet) must register with Denali National Park and Preserve 60 days in advance. The strictly enforced 60-day pre-registration regulation allows mountaineering rangers to have direct contact with climbers before they arrive in Talkeetna...”

If you are interested email me – I will also send periodic reminders if you are considering, we need an absolute commitment date by April 1, 2012 (as you will need 60 days in

advance to register with Denali National Park and Preserve). However we would like to meet as a team in Feb or March to do at least one weekend climb together locally for team gel, gear checks etc.

Thx!

Jeff & Dave

jtinnea (with) hotmail

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/booklet.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic