Cabin Location?

chris54

I live in Portland and I'm looking to get a piece of land for a small one room climbers cabin. What I'm trying to figure out is location. Ive seen much of Oregon and southern Washington but I want a location that gives me a wide range of climbing at my door step. I thought I would throw it out there and see what your thoughts are on location.

Or maybe tell me your dream location for a cabin any where.

Thanks Chris

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've looked at both Leaveanworth and Mazama. Both would be great locations. Leavenworth more accessible in the winter. I decided that for the cost of a cabin, I could take an awful lot of vacatons all over the world staying in nice hotels.

I've looked at both Leaveanworth and Mazama. Both would be great locations. Leavenworth more accessible in the winter. I decided that for the cost of a cabin, I could take an awful lot of vacatons all over the world staying in nice hotels.

This. Owning a cabin is something for old age - along with aid climbing, fly fishing, backpacking, owning a dog, and staying put. Flame away . . .

But ... if you have cash (i.e. can't get financing) and don't mind living in a place that's on Forest Service land, Rimrock Lake is close to Tieton, LWorth, Vantage and has excellent access to B-C skiing, ice climbing, mountaineering, etc.

Edited by Winter

In response to your search for a location that would give you something "based on need for a wide range of climbing at your door step" could be a challenge, and I apologize if this gets a little to long. I'm pretty familiar with those that have vacation cabins/homes in the Winthrop/ Mazama area. The late Summer and Fall seasons are pretty awesome. Winters are tough as the HWY 20 is closed and one has to drive from the Wenatchee/Leavenworth area (2-3hrs) and (4.5-5hrs) from the westside Seattle/Bellevue area. What does your "wide range" include - Alpine, Ice or just Rock? It really matters, as going north on the eastside puts you in striking distance of good Ice in B.C. as well as Eastern Wash. Whereas, the west side north such as Blghm would make it quite a long travel around and through the passes of Stevens or I90/Blewett, not realistic.

The Mazama/Winthrop area is the closest to North Cascades Peaks and some good rock, such as the Liberty Bell - just a stones throw (30-45 min drive). Also some great XCountry ski trails.

So, you can see the perfect place at your door is quite a challenge. DPS and Winter are correct - an investment in some property and cabin is fairly long term; and since you can't take it with you - maybe spending it on some other world locations ain't a bad idea. So, it depends on what your long term goal is all about.

My vote is somewhere on the eastside like Leavenworth or Wenatchee, putting me in striking distance of the Central Cascades, as well as the North Cascades and even B.C. Just my two cents. Good luck in your adventure.

something in the south fork would be incredible. the area is beautiful, and camping up at deer creek gets really cold at night, with a cozy little cabin to snuggle up in... I can't think of anything better. Driving from cody to the ice takes around a hour, cutting that out would be so prime.

I already get to live in that cabin (house, built by me, family and friends in 1989) in Roslyn, WA. It's 60 min to L'worth and Vantage, 50 min to X38, 80 min to Tieton, and 30 min to Snoq Pass. And there's great hiking, snowshoeing, and x-country skiing starting literally in my yard. Of course, you have to be willing to move tons of snow all winter and deal with dicey driving 4 months a year. But you get used to that (after 36 years)! Best of all, the place is paid for!

Wow! You've nailed it - and I'll bet your taxes are very low. Being in the middle of the state is quite an advantage, you are within easy reach of all the climbing. When you look at the state map and throw a dart - Wenatchee is right in the center and Roslyn is pretty close. Finding a place where there is climbing right out the back door would be a challenge, maybe North Bend?

:tup:

There's decent sport climbing 15 miles from Roslyn near Salmon-la-Sac. Gets very little traffic so can be a little dirty on some routes. It goes from 5.8 to 11.d or so. Also a good 2 pitch sport route above Lake Cle Elum and several other routes there too.

Property taxes: When I bought a fixer upper in 1978 ( needed LOTS of work) yearly prop tax was $22! Not so now, but still a lot cheaper than most areas.