What articles do you want to see?

jon

One of our many goals here is to develop some great technical articles for all of you. We are very fortunate that we have some many accomplished climbers on here who are willing to contribute. If you have articles ideas that would help you as a climber or backcountry traveller let us know. Either post it in the thread or if you would rather PM us do so. If you are interested in doing some writing drop us a line with your ideas.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

- Rudy & Rad and any of the other dads should pen a piece on how they introduced climbing to their kiddos and balanced having fun with encouragement/advancement in the sport

- I would pay good money to see a series of articles from Mark Westman on Alaska: what is in his Denali kit? what is in his Ruth Gorge kit? what are some good first time routes for AK newbies? Talkeetna beta? etc etc

- If Don Serl did a similar piece on the Waddington Range that would be rad. Waddington for first timers or something

- As cc.com has a number of guidebook authors (Jim, Don, Alex, Jason, etc) an article from each one on either a climb they wished they had included in their book or perhaps an updated description (more pics/etc) of a climb in their guidebook.

- An updated guide to strobach (perhaps as a downloadable pdf?) would be cool

- A downloadable guide for some of the newer climbing areas or old climbing areas with new routes in Washington and Oregon

- Sol should write an article on how he is training for rock... use of rings, hangboard, etc etc

I'd like to see an article on self rescue primarily for rock.
:tup:

I know there are a few books on this topic. Do people not like them? How could we do it differently to be more effective?

@John, all awesome ideas that we will follow up on.

Are there any gear centric articles people would like to see? Reviews/comparisons of particular gear types? Ropes? Single Wall Tents? Insulation layers? Your feedback is important.

-Ski mountaineering tips and tricks? We have some seriously experienced folks around that could make this enlightening.

-Second the article on kiddos and climbing/outdoors stuff

-Climbing and high quality photography. Garrett Grove?

-Tutorial on some of the online weather products available thru the UW Atmos dept.?

While there are good resources out there for crevasse rescue, I seem to remember that the 2 person rope team rescue portions were not very comprehensive. It seems that single person rescue should be even more detailed than 2 person rescue.

ditto for beginners guide to waddington

climbing photography for people with the point and shoot cameras

Here are a few ideas:

-Guides Pack, how to pack lighter for ski, rock and ice trips

-More articals like Colins

-Good ways to introduce your girlfriend to climbing

-Sample Kits for different ranges from the big boys would also be rad - what tips and tricks have they learned?

Edited by robpatterson5

How about an article on ice screws? The link to the already posted article isn't working.

I think more technical articles are a great idea. The fabrics and insulation sounds good. Maybe one on surviving/enjoying(?) alpine bivies. Or an article going over what has changed since Twight's Extreme Alpinism. Parts of it are still relevant but others seem really dated. Has there been a better resource published?

Andy Kirkpatrick on his website has an awesome collection of articles with useful tips and tricks. Although it can be skewed a little towards English climbing sytles. One of my favorites was to tie your boots/shoes with a reef knot instead of the classic shoe lace knot. The reef knot will not loosen. Great when ice climbing. I haven't seen this tip anywhere else and it makes too much sense. So more stuff like that but from American climbers.

+1 for kit information from the "super heroes" of this website-colin haley, mark westman etc. Instead of being the optimistic annoying kid at their presentations asking them what gear they use it would be nice to lay it out all at once, and share their substantial experience.

Also 12 easy steps to climb dehydrated M6 in the 'pine would be great too.....

I think an article on volcano the zen of volcano climbing by a local that's oriented towards out of town climbers would be useful.

What I have in mind would be short, have little or nothing to do with the technical aspects of volcano climbing, and just focuses on some of the intangibles that are hard to pick up on from a distance "Be humble with your objectives, be flexible with your plans, and be aware of local weather patterns and the specific hazards they present to climbers."

-Some of this stuff could be done wiki-style, too.

I'll start a thread on "How to Introduce Your Girlfriend to Climbing," and see if it generates the kind of content that we could turn into perma-link, edited permalink, or have someone read through and distill into an article.

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1058472/How_to_Introduce_Your_Girlfrie#Post1058472

- Rudy & Rad and any of the other dads should pen a piece on how they introduced climbing to their kiddos and balanced having fun with encouragement/advancement in the sport

I could write up something about getting kids out on long hikes and non-technical summits (scrambles). Climbing is still a work in progress (we mostly just do the gym)