What should the gummint spend money on, and what shouldn't it?

allison

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few of mine:

Yes:

k-12 and higher education (public only, no vouchers)

national parks, forests, wildernesses, etc

universal health care

day care

breaking up monopolistic businesses

trade tariffs

libraries and museums

No:

stimulating the economy through war or other military action

getting in the middle of labor disputes through Excecutive Order

liquor stores

faith-based anything

I see NO REASON why the government should pay for child care at ALL! i know, how unprogressive of me [Roll Eyes] but seriously if you are going to have children you have to make the sacrifices that it takes to care for them. Child care is a sham. Hire a friend, or depend on a grandparent and if you can't do that RAISE YOUR OWN CHILDREN. seriously, I tried to let go of this, and I just could not... it felt so horribly wrong to try to send my children to daycare all day so I chose to quit working. It was fine when the were with Tex or Jason, but I could not see paying 300.00$ a week to hardly see them. I don't understand how people can do that and call it child rearing. If you don't want to spend your TIME with children please do not have them. People wonder why "kids today" misbehaive and are so uncontrolable etc. it is my oppinion that institutionalized child care is a major factor. I found that when (for a month) I didn't see my kids all day I was more likely to give into them and not punish them or call them to task over their behavior. Because I missed them so much and I just wanted to be with them. I see this all arround me with kids at school. I am not saying there are not exceptions, because I am sure there are. But then I am not a verry good feminist [Roll Eyes][Wink]

amen muffy...i whole-heartedly agree with you...if you cannot take care of your children dont have them, but doesn't this also beg the question of having tax deductions for children as well? as people should only have kids if they can take care of them...(financially, physically emotionally etc.) it is an interesting thought though...

Bravo Muffy.

There is nothing more important for any of us - men or women - than raising the next generation. Though it may not be right, it has most often been women who take the lead (and the burdens) of this.

I now have two teenage daughters who are wonderful people and the best (and most lasting) thisng I've ever done and my woife gets most of the credit for this.

AT LEAST NOW YOU KNOW what it will take to be a good parent when the time comes. Thease are things that you realy have to start thinking about now. Before you meet a woman you fall in love with... before an unplanned pregnancy. You should only NOT be concerned if you are COMPLETELY unable to have children. The next generation effects us all. It is important to think about the future, and if you want children, a little thought and planning and saving now, can save a lot of frustration in the future.

quote:

Vouchers encourage people to go outside of the public school sytem. If people are involved in their schools, as in their communities, it makes them better and keeps them better-funded among other things, making them a more valuable asset to all.

uhmmm... mabe if the public school system delivered waht teh private schools were offering, this wouldn't be a problem...

also the reason public schoolin gis underfunded is not because of vouchers rather our government not putting money into them...if you want more $$$ in the public schools petition your reps to put more in... ifpublic schools are not satisfactory, we have the right to seek out another alternative and we should not be punished for it financially... [Roll Eyes]

quote:

Originally posted by Fence Sitter:

ifpublic schools are not satisfactory, we have the right to seek out another alternative and we should not be punished for it financially...
[Roll Eyes]

You are not punished for seeking out an alternative. You just have to still pay for the public education system like everyone else who pays taxes. Public education is for the public good. You may or may not choose to also use it as daycare for your kid.

Should we set up a voucher system so people who don't have kids can get their money back?

Productivity (output per worker) is highest in the US. France Canada and Sweden are close but lower. But that's because in the USA the average person works their tail off compared to the rest of the G7-8 world. No 35 days of holiday plus 5 weeks vacation here, or 37.5 hour workweek here.

Maybe that's why they do more sport climbing in Europe - lots of leisure time and the belief that you can get something for nothing?

Wrong Rick. When you look at the hours worked vs output the US is not at the top and drops to about 5th. We have high productivity because we work more. When compared to Sweden, France, Germany and others their productivity per hours worked is higher. They choose to put some energy in to other portions of their lives, we put it into our military.

Yup, welfare. Welfare. Welfare. Welfare.

That felt good to say.

There's not enough to go around esp. after Clinton gutted the system. Of course, yes, you and the histrionic media can point to egregious abuses and hoot and holler about that, but most of the folks who need it deserve it and many fall through the cracks. Most of my family works in education and social services--they're out there in the classrooms and streets so they know of what they speak.

Jonathan

Jim,

forgive me if I have misunderstood, but are you saying EVERYONE should be on welfare? or do you just think that as Americans we could repriorotize and perhaps make better use of our time, there for need to spend less of it at work?

[ 11-18-2002, 01:15 PM: Message edited by: yaya ]

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

Ok, all this talk of taxation leads me to another question:

In a perfect world, what services should the governments (from local to federal and all in between) of our great nation provide?

FREE BEER! [big Drink]

FREE CLIMBING PERMITS!

FREE DIESEL FOR MY GAS HOG TRUCKS SO I CAN HAUL ALL OF MY BEER TO CLIMB FOR FREE! [sNAFFLEHOUND]

GeorgeW er, I mean GregW is gone this week, so good luck keeping this dumb political thread going.

Why don't you guys grow up?! [Mad]

Jim:

I agree that a significant part of the difference between European and American work environments is an assessment that there are things more important than maximizing monetary income. I myself am trying - with only partial success - to work less (meaning get paid less) and do other things that enhance quality of life. Sounds like Muffy did that too. I'm somewhat fortunate that as a professional I can make that choice - that's tough to do as a corporate slave.

But then, most of Europe also has chronically high unemployment (esp in France, Germany, Spain), and slower growth than even the current US economy. There are tradeoffs. We in the US could learn something from Europe and Canada, and they from us.

quote:

It is not something one puts money in to get it out in your own education.

uhmm you are forced to go to school*... and later have to repay that debt...the same is true with a person on welfare that gets off and gets a job and pays taxes... so...uhmm... in all actuality you are paying ofr school... either way you look at it, you pay more for education than you, yourself get out of education... that in my eyes means i am paying for it... perhaps it is you that are confused... [Roll Eyes]

*legaly and socially (financialy)