Protecting dry skin during cold weather?

I have patches of skin under my eyes that are sensitive to cold. I end up with dry, peeling skin usually the next day after exposure to even moderate cold temps. My dermatologist gave me a steroid cream that works well as a remedy for the dry skin, but I am really looking for something preventative.

I use sunblock even on cloudy days in the hopes that it will help insulate the skin, but haven't found anything really effective yet. I was thinking about maybe trying the 70's era zink oxide topical (Zinka!), but wondered if anyone has similar issues and something that maybe works?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

STOP using steriods now! They damage the skin, making it thinner and more brittle. I have had terrible problems with my skin and steroids, while masking symptoms in the short term, have done terrible damage in the long run. I found Aloe Gator gel 40 SPF to be a soothing, moisturizing sun block.

Thanks a lot for the reply. I hadn't really looked at the side effects before and just spent 20 minutes researching the prescription. I was only using it on semi-rare ocassion, but it sure does seem like my mild issues don't warrant something so strong - especially with some fairly negative side effects.

• 2 weeks later...

I live and work outdoors at temps 30, 40, 50 below (ambient)...for me, I use tons of vaseline on any exposed skin and then add a sunscreen over that if sunny. Of course, I use a balaclava, too.

I know you are already aware of staying as hydrated as possible. I drink 1- 1.5 gallons of water a day and when I don't, I can really tell.