Ahhh cripes!!!

RuMR

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

actually, he's about 70lbs and is close to a one arm pullup. He can do pullups with 45lbs hanging off his waist. So, he is lightweight, but also has an incredibly sick strength to weight ratio for big muscles (i won't even go into what he can hold onto). All of this is pre puberty...

He's what my dad calls "Country-bumpkin boy strong"!

Mom is a climber!

obviously so and I don't know her personally, but it doesn't mean she would be unconcerned about her son placing cams and nuts for his life safety. Just saying. Maybe I am wrong.

BTW, you sure put the bar pretty damn high for us fathers and our little kids.

actually, he's about 70lbs and is close to a one arm pullup. He can do pullups with 45lbs hanging off his waist. So, he is lightweight, but also has an incredibly sick strength to weight ratio for big muscles (i won't even go into what he can hold onto). All of this is pre puberty...

He's what my dad calls "Country-bumpkin boy strong"!

Cool. I am curious as it is something I have wondered for a long time (although, unfortunately, my kids didn't evolve into climbing phenoms) but are there any special consideration for someone that age to start cranking on small holds?

Cool. I am curious as it is something I have wondered for a long time (although, unfortunately, my kids didn't evolve into climbing phenoms) but are there any special consideration for someone that age to start cranking on small holds?

there's nothing "unfortunate" about your kids not being climbing "phenoms", but regarding the considerations:

yeah there are. it's something i personally wrestle with, having a little one involved with the game/sport/hobby.

it's pretty obvious that we, as humanoids, are descendantly/biologically more evolved to deal with things like branches and other large grabbables, vs the tiny crimps that modern rock climbing is mainly about. as a result, kids do tend to have a few climbing-specific injuries, such as growth plate fractures in fingers.

Edited by Kimmo

the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and that saying holds true for both mom and dad as both are very good climbers, too!

mom and dad are both awesome climbers, and very capable people. it's no surprise their kids are are as successful as they are.

there's nothing "unfortunate" about your kids not being climbing "phenoms", but regarding the considerations:

yeah there are. it's something i personally wrestle with, having a little one involved with the game/sport/hobby.

it's pretty obvious that we, as humanoids, are descendantly/biologically more evolved to deal with things like branches and other large grabbables, vs the tiny crimps that modern rock climbing is mainly about. as a result, kids do tend to have a few climbing-specific injuries, such as growth plate fractures in fingers.

I think the key is restraining them...I try to make sure they climb no more than 3 days out of any 7...i have had many arguments with people about how they "should" train more times a week...Personally, i think that's asking for it...the stress they put on their fingers is ENORMOUS...

I think the key is restraining them...I try to make sure they climb no more than 3 days out of any 7...i have had many arguments with people about how they "should" train more times a week...Personally, i think that's asking for it...the stress they put on their fingers is ENORMOUS...

regarding how often they "should" train:

if left to their own desires, would your kids climb/train every day?

at 3, seija is obviously influenced by parental desires (i suppose there's a chance this never leaves us!), but anytime she's asked, it's usually "let's go climbing!". mainly she climbs on the bigger holds, so i'm not too worried if it's the 5th day in a row she says that, but recently some of the holds she hangs makes me pause....