[TR] Rogers Pass January 25-31st - 1/25/2012

PowderGangster

Trip: Rogers Pass January 25-31st -

Date: 1/25/2012

Trip Report:

Ski touring is often about timing. Sometimes you're left with nothing more than enduring endless hours of skinning, with riding so marginal that you wish you had of stayed in bed. Other times, all conditions are sublime and you are poised for the ski day of your life.

[img:center]http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/forums/wp-content/forum-image-uploads/powdergangster/_thumbs/_large_pat1edit_copy.jpg[/img]

The weather forecasts for the week showed snow everyday with light winds. Everything was lining up and our timing couldn’t have been better. Our group tends to seek the more adventurous areas, leaving the masses behind in search of the hidden gems of Rogers Pass. Sit back enjoy a week of powder skiing in Rogers pass.

[img:center]http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/forums/wp-content/forum-image-uploads/powdergangster/_thumbs/_large_wilsonlowres_copy.jpg[/img]

With an incoming storm we bailed to Revy. Not before we shredded like this..

[img:center]http://backcountryskiingcanada.com/forums/wp-content/forum-image-uploads/powdergangster/_thumbs/_large_pat4lowres_copy.jpg[/img]

For full write up and lots of pictures

powdergangster.ca orhttp://bit.ly/yCGWKm

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're looking for a place to stay and never been there there is the Best Western at the pass. Even if you don't stay there go into the bar for a drink. When we were last there they had a ton of stuffed animals in the bar. We all started laughing when we saw the stuffed bald eagle.

There's also the AO Wheeler hut just west of the pass and below Sir Donald. The ACC runs it. I don't know the rates, but you can ask.

ACC Facilities -Wheeler Hut

If you don't stay there Revelstoke is a bit of a drive.

The park service has an information center at the pass. They provide weather and avalanche forecasting. "You can ski there, but we are blasting it..."

I am working on a complete list of resources for people who have never been. It is easy to get overwhelmed with the options

Rogers pass is pro with Parks Canada running the show. The rangers at the resource centre are super helpful and will give you tips and ideas of area's to hit (most of them tour extensively)

Additionally at info centre there is a book of photo's highlighting the best runs in the pass. My only suggestion there is don't just blindly follow ski tracks as the level of experience there varies to the extremes so you may be setting yourself up with a scary run or a dangerous up track.

Look beyond Asulkan and Connaught drainages and you will tour by yourself.

Can anyone give me some feedback on the drive to Revelstoke/Rogers Pass in the winter? I've done the drive in the summer, and have done the drive to Kamloops several times in the winter. I know the catch with the Coq and to Rogers is the better the skiing the shittier the drive. How is the stretch from Kamloops to Revelstoke in winter?

jon is coming from the Fraser Valley if I am not mistaken though? Wouldn't that add a lot of distance/time?

My best tip is don't get your windshield repaired before the trip!

Kamloops to Revelstoke not too bad, but my least favourite part of the drive from a scenery perspective. 3 Valley Gap can get gnarly/closed.

If you are coming from Vancouver if you can survive the Coq you are normally good to go. There is only really one scary part past Kamloops which is the drop into 3 valley gap. There is however one open stretch just after Kamloops that snow drifts and blows that can be real nasty.

I second the motion on not repairing your windshield that drive has claimed 2 of mine in the last 5 years.