seattle

greghinemeyer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

when I need to shop and compare nalgene salt and pepper shakers that is where I go.

[laf]

And we appreciate your business!

mattp,

I and just about the rest of the company is aware of all the issues of which you speak. I have been made aware of some changes in the climbing department to come starting this spring, and I'll look forward to your feedback then, too. Maybe we can improve on some of the challenges we've experienced.

I shop at REI for maps, gu and cheap clothing (my REI spider pant are better than any schoeller I've used).

They sell silly items in REI that has nothing to do with the outdoors sometimes. I go to the climbing dept with Crack a few weeks ago. Ask for cam hooks and after 4 different employees we get some dude that doesn't seem to have a clue (nice guy though). After a short conversation with him I left feeling convinced he may have been the climb dept manager for Redmond store perhaps and that he still didn't believe there was such a thing as a cam hook. He kept asking us 'Cam Hooks?' with a silly look on his face.

When other people have experiences similar to mine what can the consumers expect except that the employees don't know about products. They are too busy selling woofle balls for dogs and 20 zillion types of shoes, 15 balaclavas that are not plain.

I went in to buy a plain ole balaclava to find they are not carrying anything but 15 different types that have funkness fashion design flaws.

When REI starts selling cell phone face plates in various colors I will return to shopping there. Whats a fella to do when he's trying to accessorize his cobalt parka before sojourning to the wild hinterlands of the Tooth? I mean, yeah they got the keychain thing going ON but like, when I pull out my cell to check the status of my Qualcomm stock I don't EVEN wanna clash. Thats so like, ghetto.

Vive la difference!

It would be more honest of REI to take "co-op" out of its name. The whole idea of the co-op is to increase buying power for a group of people who can't find what they need through the normal channels. This hasn't been true for a long time, and the dividend is nothing more than a vestigial reminder of the quaint past.

In the late 70s, when REI started to feel pressure from elsewhere, it decided to go away from its roots and become the Costco of import clothing and outdoor trinkets to avoid bankruptcy. REI had to get bigger to survive, and this was the tradeoff.

Now we have a flagship store that is a monument to excess and waste (it failed 2/3 of the WA State Energy Code), and this design is being replicated in other cities. But REI is able to fool enough people who don't know any better, the bottom line looks good, and so what if you can't find pickets in April?

quote:

Originally posted by jules:

I love REI.

- Julie Poland

REI Market Planner

Colorado, Intermountain, SoCal/Ariz Markets

253-437-7216

jpoland@rei.com

I love Jules

-Ropegun 2002 (closet REI lurker)

Oh yeah - Seattle is the best place to live.

[ 11-19-2002, 09:32 AM: Message edited by: Ropegun2002 ]

quote:

He kept asking us 'Cam Hooks?' with a silly look on his face.

I think that's what Julie was trying to explain. They no longer deal in equipment that only a minority of climbers are interested in. If I needed cam hooks, ice tools or screws, plastic boots, etc, REI would be the last place I go. Everyone pretty much knows that by now, so if it shouldn't come as a surprise that happened.

quote:

Originally posted by Figger Eight:

quote:

He kept asking us 'Cam Hooks?' with a silly look on his face.

I think that's what Julie was trying to explain. They no longer deal in equipment that only a minority of climbers are interested in. If I needed cam hooks, ice tools or screws, plastic boots, etc, REI would be the last place I go. Everyone pretty much knows that by now, so if it shouldn't come as a surprise that happened.

Hey Jimmy Jack climbers use tools and gear. Woofle balls and silly 18lb stoves dont usually get bought by real climbers.

I have bought guide books from REI before (or run in to check out a route before hitting the freeway [laf] ). I also occasionally get cord and webbing there when I'm in a fix.

Other items I've got my eye on in there:

15lb cast iron grilled cheese sandwich maker

the "chain" saw

giant Toblerone bar

any of the 25 different sport sandle models

quote:

Originally posted by Dumpster Diver:

Does being a member of REI make me in with the granola crowd? Will I then be accepted as cool by you people in the Northwest
[Wazzup]

No, it probably makes you approx 47 years old, caucasian male, married, college educated, with two kids, and too much disposable income on your hands. You've been getting the family into car-camping and snowshoeing, and trying to relive your youth.

But nobody ever said that wasn't cool!!!

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Schuldt:

If there is money in junk than that's what REI should sell. This will leave more room for the real climbing stores like Pro Mountain Sports, Outdoor and More, Second Acent............

WORD Brother, support the god damn independents [big Drink]

hey, the selection of fly rods, mountain skateboards and basecamp tents at REI is the best!

I've scooped REI for deals for years in the old gear basement, loved that aspect of the old REI- What I've seen sometimes, at REI, both old store and new, is an item priced at 10% or so ABOVE msrp.- seemed to be a hedge on the dividend.

The board of directors is kind of hazy on that whole co-op issue, you know.