seattle

greghinemeyer

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think being a little forwarder from Cali U cant conceive that People actually enjoy life with all what they have to offers and Yes they can porches pop from vending machine and actually smoke on the street and have caffeinated coffee and then a beer in a micro brewery with full alcohol content (non of this reduce alcohol nonsense) and all that water make u go crazy that’s why living in Cali was out of the question for me you guys are overly synthesize so for you people who live their life like people with the freedom of choice make you standing with Awe [Razz][Razz][Wink][Wazzup]

quote:

Originally posted by greghinemeyer:

i just was finishing off a nice vacation when i rolled into seattle for a few days. good beer, some good music. but my god i have never seen so many coffee drinking,cigarette smoking,fleece wearing pasty faced slugs in my life.

Glad you enjoyed your stay. Come again soon!

Rei is teaming up with RJRRenyolds and RedHook/Anheiser Busch to push fleece, overrosted coffee, heady beer and ciggs onto Seattlites, keeping them in doughy, pasty condition and too pussy to enjoy a little weather. They are hosting Joe Camel night at your local pub soon.

You got that right Beck, only you don't go far enough. Its clearly a part of the Republican's secret agenda to make the entire country safe for snowmobiles. A pasty pudgy wheezing vibrating populace will think mechanized snow travel is the only way to fly, assuming the manufacturers can make a cup holder for those things that will actually work.

"SantaCruzian"... do you commute 17 to San Hoser everyday? Now there is a bunch of lame fucks. If you noticed the Seattle trend, you probably noticed it down there too. The only difference is that we substitute fleece for a suntan and skin cancer. Avoid the mainstream, there are cool people everywhere if you know where to look. Even in santa cruz! [rockband][rockband][big Drink]

i need a nappy fleece latte holder to cruise the aisles at REI supership and pick out some gourmet candy and colorful keychains, while updating my pile motif for the year and picking out some new athletic slippers to cush my tootsies in the new SUV I put 80 dollars a week's worth of gas into.

Man, I love Seattle.

Just got back from an "outside myself" shopping experience from one of our local co-ops. I had difficulty finding clevis pins and glacier goggles; these had been replaced by thirty varieties of color coded keychain biners, 15 types of collapsible doggie bowls and bins of "Northwest" chocolates.

When I asked the staff if they had any piolets, they said they didn't carry those anymore.

quote:

Originally posted by Dave Schuldt:

If there is money in junk than that's what REI should sell. This will leave more room for the real climbing stores like Pro Mountain Sports, Outdoor and More, Second Acent............

I agree! and i whish backcountry gear would expand their invintory and store and give REI a run for their money. Living in a smaller town we have fewer choices. 3 stores maybe 4 (including REI and GI Joes) for outdoor stuff. the selection is LIMITED and somewhat limiting. I HATE SHOPPING ON LINE, because I like to touch things before I pay for them

[Embarrassed]

The main great thing about REI is the dividend. Oh, and also the return policy. But now I've figured out how to get pretty good discounts at my local climbing shops, so the dividend isn't as much of a draw. Problem with REI (Jules take note) is that it has a little of everything, but not much of anything. It is hard to compare brands/models/etc to see which is "just right" for you, when all REI offers is one or maybe two items, that are the most general use among similar products, likely to serve the occasional users needs, but not very specialized and/or technical in application. Also, REI brand products tend to be cheap imitations that just don't quite work right.

Has anyone been to Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, CO. Awesome selection!

Does anyone remember abercrombie from many years ago? I have really vaque memories of it being an "expedition" style outdoor store. That sort of english Khaki imperialist/naturalist look. But I could be wrong.

I like the good ol days of REI. Recently I went on a tirade about them 'not carrying pickets' I was told they were out of season. This was in april.

quote:

Originally posted by dbconlin:

Problem with REI (Jules take note) is that it has a little of everything, but not much of anything. It is hard to compare brands/models/etc to see which is "just right" for you, when all REI offers is one or maybe two items, that are the most general use among similar products, likely to serve the occasional users needs, but not very specialized and/or technical in application. Also, REI brand products tend to be cheap imitations that just don't quite work right.

Has anyone been to Neptune Mountaineering in Boulder, CO. Awesome selection!

db,

thanks for the feedback. I think we're trying harder to target particular user-groups, including some of the higher end techie stuff. But we will never be everything to everyone. It never has been. The co-op has evolved since the days of being run out of Lloyd and Mary's attic in West Seattle when the assortment may have been targeted to hard-core mountaineers, but that neglected a whole bunch of other end-users who might be intimidated to walk into a smaller, specialty retailer.

I've been to Neptune's a couple of times, it is a veritable museum of mountaineering. I loved it! Excellent store.

The thing is, Jules, they still try to market the store as if they cater to climbers and they suck us in but we are frustrated when we go there and find out that they don't have the climbing gear we want. They run out of ice screws during ice climbing season just about every year, Spanker couldn't get a snow picket in April, and their selection of climbing ropes is not as good as the mini-store, Pro Mountain Sports when the latter has only a dozen ropes in the whole store!

REI catalogs suggest that they cater to climbers and they keep the climbing gear next to the front door to suggest to their customers that they are shopping where climbers shop, but a climber is almost always going to find a poor selection of climbing equipment sold by people who don't know how to use the stuff. You are right, REI is a good store and it serves a market that deserves to be served. And I buy plenty of stuff there, but I yearn in a nostalgic way for the old days when it was a climbing supplier.