Tired of me yet? Snow shoes on mt.shasta in may?

Sig Olsen

Going through a few pictures and saw people carrying snowshoes. I didn't plan on getting any. Will I need them the end of May? I have crampons, ice axe and a helmet. If you would carry them, recommend a reasonable brand and the best brand? Business fluctuates so I like options.

Edited by Sig Olsen

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I climbed the Casaval Ridge over Memorial Day WE 2009. Locals said there was more snow than usual. We did not bring floatation and did not need it. I did wish I brought my skis for the West Face descent though. That looked like a sweet run.

No, sorry if I was not clear. We did not bring snow shoes or skis and did not need them. Locals said there was more snow than usual for a Memorial Day Weekend. We did get alpine starts from Bunny Flats and from our high camp at 11k to take advantage of firmer snow conditions, but even descending in the heat of mid day we were not post holing terribly.

There have been a couple times I thought to myself "ack.. snowshoes would probably be helpful right now," but I've never bought any, and if I did, I think the odds I'd actually strap them to my ruck are pretty slim. Post-holing sucks and all, but when you trim and cut and opt-out just to save ounces, deliberately throwing on another 5lbs that you probably won't use just isn't ever going to sound like a good idea, during the pre-climb pack. To me, at least.

Just my humble opinion, though.