Splitboard reviews?

Quarryographer

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

a split is so much better than snowshoes. only downside is the price. if you can afford it that's the setup I'd get. currently I'm using a s series with the burton setup. janky and a huge pain in the ass, but the price was right. I've never used the viole setup but from people who have I hear it's the bees knees. locks in super solid and will not spontaneously pop off on you (something the burton is very liable to do if you don't get every little piece of snow and ice out of it before locking it down)

I'm stoked on my venture storm-r. It's wide and rockered, but holds an edge on shitty snow better than my solid lib-tech with magnetraction. Downside, it's a goddamn pig. The voile is reportedly lighter, and a pretty solid setup from what I hear.

My advice...get a splitboard, learn how to skin, learn backcountry stuff, whilst learning to ski in the resort. Skiiers have it so much better in the back country. That's my plan anyhow, and what I've gathered from touring with skiiers.

I've used the Voile for more than 10 years and am on my second board. I agree, for the price they are hard to beat, and they work well. Probably not the best, but I'm on a budget and the board has never held me back from my objectives. I've taken it on as long as an 8 day trip to the Wapta, and many, many shorter trips. It is a good system that is time tested.

If you want to get into ski mountaineering though, learn to ski. I wish I knew. Splitboards still aren't as good as skis for a lot of terrain.

I got my Prior setup from a guy selling his on splitboard.com. Was half the price of retail and he ended up being local. I've also seen some listed on Craigslist. If you're just getting into it, I would suggest buying used and figure what features you want for your next board. (size, rocker, etc.)

You can also take the money you saved and buy split bindings (Sparks R&D) which make both uphill and downhill travel much more efficient and responsive.

Check out splitboard.com, there are good reviews and lots of good info there. The current Burton Freebird seems to be a good board at a good price, K2 makes it easy with the entire kit, I'm riding a T.Rice with Karakoram bindings and am happy with it for the most part but I think it is more board than most people need. I haven't ridden any of the other splitboards that are on the market but there are more choices out there now. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Thanks all! Some great advice and links. I've been snowboarding close to 15 years now, and absolutely love the steep n deep. I'm new to ice climbing though, and learned last weekend that I definitely need some floatation. Others in the group had snowshoes, which seemed to suffice. But I was thinking I'd prefer to skin in, and board out. Jason, why are skis better for mountaineering? Chair peak was lookin great on Saturday.

I have the new K2 panoramic. The nice part is that the entire board comes basically ready to go with hardware, skins, etc. I would say I am still really new to the sport, but I definitely like my setup. For the skinning, I am too new to really comment on how it would compare to other setups. For downhill, its fantastic.

To those that are envious of AT over a splitboard, you're right - they have a lot of advantages:

1) you can get a really light set-up if you spend $$$

2) faster up/down transition

3) way better on gentle rolling terrain

But there is one advantage of splitboards that is key for me as a climber - the ability to ride in my climbing boots if needed. Climbing in AT boots is something that I have done a long time ago but not something that I would do by choice again. I'm sure this will invite plenty of contrary thoughts; feel free to flame on. You know what they say about opinions...

Anyway, back to the OP's question. I am on my second splitboard now and would recommend trying to rent (or borrow) a few before buying one. Touring can be a lot of work at times and you don't want to ruin your fun with a set-up that doesn't function well. My first split was an old Duotone that rode like and weighed as much as a 2x8. I could make it work but it was a challenge both up and downhill.

My new Prior floats in the powder and is fast uphill. Karakorum K-clips are superior (faster transition) due to the wet snow around here, and splitboard specific bindings are lighter and better than the Voile plates in every respect except for cost.

One worry that kept me away from the Mojo is that it is cap construction unlike many of its competitors. But the price is right so personal preference will dictate there.

Lots of traversing and rolling terrain are a pain on a splitboard, so snowshoes or skis are often better for approaching mountaineering objectives. If you are ice climbing, most climbing boots are be better suited for snowshoes. Often if it is good climbing conditions, the ski conditions are terrible anyways.

I have mitigated the downsides of splitboards somewhat by buying AT boots and plate bindings. It reduces the downhill performance a bit (you get used to it though), but the skinning and climbing is way better. Plus AT boots are more comfortable (and warmer) for long days skinning than most (if not all) snowboard boots. I am still waiting for a split specific hardboot, I imagine they won't be far off.

My experience with the group that I've been out with is that transition times don't make a signigicant difference between skis and a splitboard. I can transition in nearly the same time as the skiers and as soon as they get any dyna-fiddle issues I'm the one that's left waiting for them to clear snow. That said, I can't side step across icy sections. I don't have a lightweight spring set up for those days when it's not about the down but the up. I don't have walk mode in my boots and I really hate the feeling of a snowboard boot with a soft heel spine. I don't have convenient crampons for my snowboard boots.

What I do have is a big smile on my face because either way, when I'm in the mountains I'm having fun.