Snowshoe Recommendations

Makalu59

Hi,

Can anybody here recommend a good quality snowshoe for traversing up steep terrain? Would like to try a few winter ascents of peaks here in Idaho, conditions permitting, and could use some good snowshoe recommendations. I would guess that some sort of snowshoe/crampon combination would be necessary.

Thanks!

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. In particular look at the evo ascents. You'll want something with a climbing wire if you are going steep; or tape tennis balls under your heels...

Found some good deals:

http://www.ems.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3718184&sr=1&origkw=msr&emssrcid=PPC:Google:adwords_msr_snowshoe_reviews

thats a good deal on the Lightning 30's, you'd be slaying shit with those.

Edited by Teh Phuzzy

there are tails for both the evo ascents and the lightnings. Highly recommend getting tails with the ascents-- They float alright in fresh snow with minimal gear, but you'll notice a rapid lose of floatation as you put on the weight of gear.

If you have the dough, go with the lightnings; they'rrrrrrrre GREAT! :tup:

MSR lightening ascent. They have a traction ring round the outside, good crampon, and a heal platform. Tails included. I had no problems on frozen 30 degree snow to fluffy powder.

I ordered some longer womens, as they are narrower than mens (ima dude).

REI has them on sale right now, but still spendy. You can also rent them from REI for 20 bucks right now if you want to demo before you buy.

Edited by gasper

+3 on the lightnings! They have held up better than my previous evo's after 1 season.

My only beef with the MSRs in general, is the stupid button clip they use to secure the tails on your binding straps. IT is SOOOOOO difficult to get these fuckers in the hole, even when I take off my gloves. The second one in from the toe is the worst. The clips on the older Evos were prone to snapping in cold weather. Has anyone figured out a workaround or some technique to fasten these more easily?

Edited by SemoreJugs

After a few seasons of use I had the decking material in my lightening ascents tear in a few places from rubbing against the metal frame. MSR covered it under warranty but I have since switched to the evo ascents as the weight difference is minimal between the lightening and the evo ascent.

The MRS Lightning Ascent is a good choice but the Atlas Aspect has a much better binding system that allows for lateral movement of your foot. With the MSR there is no lateral movement. Both are very similar in design. The decking on the MSR doesn’t seem very durable after a couple of seasons. I am planning to send mine back to get fixed. The MSR Denali (or Evo) is a great choice if you want to save some money. You also have the option to add flotation but again no lateral movement in the binding but very durable.

Lateral movement may not be a big deal in soft snow but could be an issue when conditions are firm. It is also easier on the knees. I have all 3 pairs and only used the Aspect a few times. They are replacing an 11 year old pair of Atlas snowshoes that I was very happy with.

If you go with the MSR stay away from the Lightning Axis. They are a cheaper version of the Ascent but the strap design to hold your foot in place is subpar IMO.

I would also add if choosing poles go with a flip-lock design like BD makes. The “screw to tighten” type are OK but slip at just the wrong time if you don’t wrench them down with all your strength. They tend to unscrew themselves especially in heavy snow.

Edited by ilookeddown

I would also add if choosing poles go with a flip-lock design like BD makes. The “screw to tighten” type are OK but slip at just the wrong time if you don’t wrench them down with all your strength. They tend to unscrew themselves especially in heavy snow.

Leki is making them like that now as well. Won't even buy a screw lock pole again. I've wasted so much time fiddling with mine or waiting on someone else with theirs.