Best AT skis

tvashtarkatena

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I demoed the Manaslu, it is really, really light. Pretty stiff and the rocker is nice, but I think it's a little too light. It gets knocked around easily and seems like it won't take much abuse.

I demoed the Stoke, and thought it was good, I might have bought it if I could have found a deal. Definitely stiffer with more edge bite than the Coomback. More sidecut than the Manaslu.

Dynafit's skins are rad.

I demoed the BD Drift and didn't like it, I can't remember why.

Generally I haven't liked BD skis much, they seem stiff in a weird way, I have heard that it's the tail is unusually stiff relative to the rest of the ski. I owned BD Verdicts and sold them for this reason, they were always kicking my ass in soft snow. I have a pair of Kilowatts with tele bindings, but I suck at tele skiing so I can't really tell whether I like them or not.

I demoed the Manaslu, it is really, really light. Pretty stiff and the rocker is nice, but I think it's a little too light. It gets knocked around easily and seems like it won't take much abuse.

Dynafit's skins are rad.

I have a pair of the Manaslu and it's true that they can get knocked around easily in icy or chunky snow. In softer snow they ski quite well and the weight is hard to beat. Indeed, the Dynafit skin system is very well done. For days with a lot of uphill skinning, the Manaslu weight combined with the Dynafit skin system makes things about as easy as they'll get.

I've skied the Manaslus hard for 4 seasons now in just about every condition from deep powder to solid ice. Yes you get pushed around a bit but if you're looking for a BC ski the light weight is well worth the trade off in getting pushed around in mank. That said... I just got a pair of Stokes and am liking them. However I've yet to ski them in anything but blower powder so I can't really give a review.

Atomic Drifters?

You're really good at getting Atomic and Voile mixed up. Voiles are a U.S. company, Atomic is from the Austria.

They may be from the Austria, but they make a ski called "Drifter" that's 95 mm underfoot.

BD also makes a "Drift".

Voile started the whole thing with the "Drifter"

Naming a ski "Drift*" is the next big thing in skis, now that "early rise" is commonplace. Look for DriftBacks and SideDrifts from K2 next season.

...looks pretty flat. How many passes over the grinder did it take? The last time I worked over a pair of Never Summer's skis it took about 30 passes +/- a few. Just mounted up a friend's Nomads. I didn't take a true bar to the bases, but I did throw a coat of wax on them, and they definitely seemed flatter than earlier generations. Like Never Summer boards, these planks are indeed built tough.....