Parka recommendations for Shasta end of may

Sig Olsen

Need to get a warm parka. I have been eyeballing the Mountain Hardwear Hunker Down ( its only $155 on e-omc). Is that overkill? I want to use this jacket next year for the 8 day course for rainier with alpine ascents. They say medium weight down parka but dont list one suggested.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a similar thread going in the gear review section that should give some info. A lot of the guys who are in the PNW like synthetic fills since it can be so wet. Layering is also the preferred method by a few folks. I'm sure others will chime in soon, but check out that other thread, it might give a little insight for you.

The overwhelmingly majority of us in the NW prefer down over synhetic for a big layer, for obvious reasons of performance/weight for the conditions we mostly encounter here. Particularly in winter...I don't know anyone who doesn't go out without their puffy. Our winter temperatures vary a lot, but often hover between 10 and 40 in our mountains - ie, mainly in the temperature ranges ideal for down. We usually the usual under/softshell/windshell layering to supplement and handle the warmer conditions when a few of the right layers does ya fine.

I suppose of you planned on doing a technical route in 37 degree rain a primaloft like layering system might be superior. Most of us choose our objectives/weather conditions otherwise, however, since our topography gives us a range of conditions to choose from on any given day.

Don't get the Hunker Down. 660 fill is bulky, leaks feathers, and doesn't last. Spend the extra and get a MH Phantom or equivalent with hood - go 800 fill. That's a great outer layer for Cascade volcanoes (with other appropriate layering as needed).

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Thanks. I ended up ordering the MH Sub Zero SL Parka. I figure it may be overkill, but after watching a youtube of a guy last year same time I wanted to be safe. I also plan to do the rainier 8 day school next year and they recommend it. I couldn't find the temp range on the phantom when I was looking. I wanted something 800 or 850 fill, but wasnt sure. Thanks again though for the input.

The overwhelmingly majority of us in the NW prefer down over synhetic for a big layer, for obvious reasons of performance/weight for the conditions we mostly encounter here. .

660 fill is bulky, leaks feathers, and doesn't last. Spend the extra and get a MH Phantom or equivalent with hood - go 800 fill.

I agree on all points. I have two belay parkas, a Patagonia Micropuff which is warm enough for everything in the Cascades except for Rainier in the dead of winter. I have a Wild Things Belay parka that I bought for Alaska, which is plenty warm, but I wish I would have gone with down because AK is dry, and down is lighter and more compressible. If you go with down, pop for 800+ fill. Down is an investment that will pay divends for many years if properly cared for.