Steph Davis presenting Earth to Sky - 2/17

icmtns

5s-fischers-1-25-2011-66.jpg

World-class climber Steph Davis presenting her slideshow "Earth to Sky" at the Mountaineers Program Center

A story of free climbing and base jumping four classic desert towers in Moab, Utah: Ancient Art, Hindu Tower, Sister Superior, and King of Pain.

She chose four very different sandstone spires, and looked for the most beautiful way to climb each one, and the safest and best way to jump it. Each tower is unique, and each one offered a different adventure.

She teamed up with Mario Richard, a highly experienced base jumper, on three of the four towers. The last one she climbed and jumped alone as a free solo.

Her book, "High Infatuation: A Climber's Guide to Love and Gravity," will be available for sale at the event..get your copy signed!

She is teaching crack climbing clinics, for all abilities, the following day at Stone Gardens in Ballard.

To purchase tickets, go here: http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/220705 (also available at the door)

To sign-up for the clinics, go here (If you are not a member you can sign up using a guest account:

session 1: http://www.mountaineers.org/source/atrips/TripRegister.cfm?Event=29444

session 2: http://www.mountaineers.org/source/atrips/TripRegister.cfm?Event=29442

keith_ladzinski_steph_jah.jpg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Steph Davis seems like a really neat person I read her book and read a few little blog posts she had. What a fun, kooky, accomplished, determined person...who really seems to put her money were her mouth is.... she makes the world a better place! I'd love to meet her--I'm working then, but I'll pass the information a long.

Thanks!

I didn’t go to her slide show in Portland because I had a preconceived prejudiced view against her because she free-soloed, which I thought was foolishness fed by a desire to impress people, herself, who knows, and that throwing up videos of her antics for all to see was subsequent grandstanding. I was wrong.

I did attend her crack climbing clinic, however, because I thought I could learn something from that and I did.

The big surprise for me was Steph herself and how my view of her changed once I met her. Her climbing accomplishments aside, she struck me as an exceptional human being. I would add to everything you have said that she just radiates goodness. She comes across as honest, unpretentious, unassuming, kind, generous, and of course confident, but in a supremely gracious and modest way. And yeah, I got the feeling after just being around her for a few hours that she can be a real hoot too! How refreshing!

So the lesson for me was (and always is as I never seem to learn this) not to prejudge people. Yes, she definitely makes the world a better place.

On a different note, another thing that surprised me is that she really is anal about safety. I didn’t think anything could surpass what the Mazamas teach, but she does. I’ll pass along some safety tips she shared in her clinic…

- When rapping, she clips into a loop on her safety leash, in addition to her belay loop, so if the belay loop fails she has a backup.

- She threads the 6mm cord holding her chalk bag around her waist through the belay loop as well, so if the harness should fail, she has a backup.

- If she is the first to rap down a multi-pitch route, she pulls up the ends of the rope and unties the knots(we all knot the ends right?) and ties the ends of the rope together with a fig8 and clips it into the anchor.

I didn’t go to her slide show in Portland because I had a preconceived prejudiced view against her because she free-soloed, which I thought was foolishness fed by a desire to impress people, herself, who knows, and that throwing up videos of her antics for all to see was subsequent grandstanding. I was wrong.

I did attend her crack climbing clinic, however, because I thought I could learn something from that and I did.

The big surprise for me was Steph herself and how my view of her changed once I met her. Her climbing accomplishments aside, she struck me as an exceptional human being. I would add to everything you have said that she just radiates goodness. She comes across as honest, unpretentious, unassuming, kind, generous, and of course confident, but in a supremely gracious and modest way. And yeah, I got the feeling after just being around her for a few hours that she can be a real hoot too! How refreshing!

So the lesson for me was (and always is as I never seem to learn this) not to prejudge people. Yes, she definitely makes the world a better place.

Aww, that was so cool to read, pcg. Thanks! Glad to know such a person of high caliber exists in the world, regardless of fame or not. :)

• 3 weeks later...