weather/climbing question

medicsandy

Have been checking for daily news updates on the missing climbers on Rainier. Back here (Ohio) we heard about the big storm on Tuesday, that was just starting to hit all of you out there. From what I've been reading, the climbers and campers were all due back before that hit, on Sunday and Monday. We back here are wondering...did a sudden storm hit the mountain last weekend? was it forcasted to hit? would they have known about it when they took off on their climb? we cant seem to find anything talking about the weather for last weekend.

Hoping and praying they are found safe and alive and also praying for the safety of the men and women that are searching for them. I can only begin to imagine how difficult that search would be.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish all the best for the climbers and searchers, almost any mountain is king in bad weather, sometimes we can forget that to climb ANY mountain is by the grace of good enough weather and/or conditions. (Always carry snowshoes or skis in winter even if you don't need them in current conditions/route. If you get dumped on with snow during the climb, then your stuck, also other sections of mountain may be full of soft snow, with many feet of soft snow it simple impossible to move very far)

Edited by DanO