Federal Tax Reform is SEXY

allison

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by MtnGoat:

curious you refuse to engage me on specifics, but I shall do so with you...

Earlier posted by Mtngoat: "I'm not going to waste my time citing chapter and verse to convince folks of something they already know, and probably support on grounds that are *not* empirical to begin with (which is the problem.)"

Are you just kind of choosy about when you do so?

Here is a true example:

A construction worker and his GF decide to live frugally and on one of there income. They do so get married and my the time they are in their late 20s have almost 300 in cash set aside. Now they buy a nice house in the late 80s i what has become a fshionable part of the eastside. So far this example is true of a WA climber. Now 10 years from now they die. Their estate will now be subject to an onerous estate tax. Simply because they chose to save their money the government now has the right to half of it after it had already been taxed.

PP

quote:

Originally posted by Dr Flash Amazing:

POW!
[sNAFFLEHOUND]

Edit: Damn, too old and slow to keep up with you spring chickens!

DFA that has to be the lamest attempt at a

[sNAFFLEHOUND] ever. there were 4 posts proir to yours. i posted twice with flood control. you need to hit the keyboard gym dude. [Wazzup]

WARNING!!!! RATED R (sexually suggestive ocntent)

quote:

take it easy on him, as was said before, his mousing arm is damaged from enjoying too many climbing videos.

sharma! oooh sharma! that's right pull that gaston...oy yeah right up....tooo....to....the....crux....yeah stem that shit yeah...who does sharma work for? eyah DFA you know it...ohhh... [Roll Eyes][laf][Wazzup]

PP-

I would say it depends. If they are getting old and have a large estate they have the choice of down sizing and gifting that wealth over the years to others gradually, or setting up living trusts that avoid the tax. If you're talking about unusual events where a couple barely qualifies for the tax and has children then I might be tempted to agree it's a problem. There are accommodations as the upper limit of the tax application is always rising.

The problem is there is no sliding scale. If some croaks and leaves behind a $2 billion estate and his or her relatives get "only" 65% of that, I'm not crying over that one. And generally if you have that much wealth you hire the planners to lower you exposure to that as much as possible.

I am concerned about properness of the tax in the first place. I am not an expert but all the methods I know to avoid the tax have down sides esp given that the tax is unfair in the first place. But a "perfect" tax code would not lend itself to encouraging wasted labor on avoidance and effectively act as subsidy to lawyers and CPAs

PP

But you're exempt if you have less than $2 million! It's only collected from 1.4% of tax payers, those that have quite a lot, and enough money to avoid as much tax as possible.

The marginal tax rates are now at their lowest in 65 years. They have been declining steadily the past 10 years. While the upper (and I mean upper) class have been clicking their heels the middle (what's left of it) and the bottom tax brackets are losing ground. That doesn't seem fair to me.

quote:

Originally posted by Jim:

But you're exempt if you have less than $2 million! It's only collected from 1.4% of tax payers, those that have quite a lot, and enough money to avoid as much tax as possible.

The marginal tax rates are now at their lowest in 65 years. They have been declining steadily the past 10 years. While the upper (and I mean upper) class have been clicking their heels the middle (what's left of it) and the bottom tax brackets are losing ground. That doesn't seem fair to me.

As a practical matter the 2 million exemption doesn't exist.

What exactly do you mean by marginal tax rate lowest in years please me quite specific with your response.

Inequalities that appear elsewhere in the tax code do not justify an unjust taxation elsewhere. My example was quite specific and quite possible. Remember my hero is not in what is usually consiodered a rich man's profession. I'll modify it a bit. The wife dies of breast cancer now and in ten years the husband dies.

Are you suggesting that a wrong inflicted by our government on a small percentage of the population is ok?

PP